Asparagus and Roasted Garlic Hummus
by Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
At last! Spring has arrived!
Although I can’t always be sure by the weather. Some days it is mild and other days it threatens to snow or just be overcast and rain all the time. But there are wonderful ways we can tell. Have you heard an increase in birdsong? I find they get loud in the Spring, sometimes like newlyweds, at other times like old enemies.
And the light is so much better now, but I have noticed that for over a month now. In some unspoken way, my brain seemed to sense the coming of Spring. I couldn’t have told you by the weather, as the end of winter was particularly nasty for us, although nothing compared to what Boston got served with. I do love the Spring flowers, but I admit these were taken indoors in recent weeks at Krohn Conservatory of Eden Park in Cincinnati, Ohio. That place always renews my spirit when I need a dose of nature!
Another thing I notice in the Spring is the sudden arrival of specific veggies to the market. Such as morel mushrooms, fiddlehead ferns, trumpet mushrooms, hen of the woods mushrooms, garlic scapes, pea shoots, artichokes and English peas in the pod. I already bought and eagerly devoured a bunch of morels. The cashier seemed shocked at the price, but these Spring specialty items when made at home can make a meal for less than what it costs to eat at an inexpensive restaurant. Sometimes these things can be hard to find or come by. I had seen fiddleheads and was excited but saw they weren’t very fresh so passed on those. I keep hoping! And soon garlic scapes should be around.
And this week, like clockwork, the first days of Spring have passed and the asparagus is on sale at the market for 1.49/pound. Who can resist such tender young spears? Most of the time I will roast the asparagus quite simply in the oven with a splash of olive oil and a sprinkling of garlic. But for a healthy snack, I chose to celebrate this spring vegetable by making it into something more unexpected: hummus.
And not just *any* hummus, but one infused with the delicate yet caramelized flavors of roasted garlic. That is very easy to make. I have a recipe filed for those who haven’t done it before.
Basically you cut off just enough of the garlic bulb to expose the cloves, set it on a piece of foil, drizzle it with a touch of olive oil, wrap it, and toss it in the oven until it gets tender. Once done, squeeze the papery bulb to extract the roasted goodness of the cloves.
Once you have that, and cooking the asparagus for a few short minutes, everything easily whips up in the food processor to make this hummus. After that, all you need to do is find some wedges of pita bread or some crackers and you are all set.
I hope you enjoy!
Asparagus and Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 45 min to roast garlic
- 15 min to prep hummus
- 12 ounces fresh trimmed asparagus, chopped and steamed/cooked
- 1/3 cup roasted garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon either black sesame seeds or toasted sesame seeds (for garnish; optional)
- Roast garlic if you have not already. I have a recipe for this, click here to view: Roasted Garlic.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil and add asparagus; simmer for 3 minutes until tender; drain.
- Place cooked asparagus, roasted garlic, tanini, coriander, lemon juice, salt, and sesame oil in a food processor and puree until thick but smooth.
- Pour oil into the chute in a thin stream with the food processor running until it is all mixed well.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
You might also like:
Celebrating recipes of the Spring season.
As part of the Sunday Supper Movement, I and a host of other food bloggers are pleased to present to you some of our favorite Springtime recipes to enjoy and prepare for you and your families and friends while enjoying that old man winter is finally losing his grip and that Spring has finally sprung!
Special thanks to DB (aka Foodie Stuntman) of Crazy Foodie Stunts and Valerie of Lifestyle Food Artistry for graciously hosting this event and working so hard to make sure all the I’s are dotted and T’s are crossed. It’s a big group and a ton of work to keep all together! Thanks so much.
And now on to the recipes! Check out as many recipes as you would like and be sure to pin those to have for later.
- Easter Egg Smoothie by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Home-made Limoncello by Manu’s Menu
- Meyer Lemon Rosemary Martini by The Redhead Baker
- Asparagus and Roasted Garlic Hummus by Palatable Pastime
- Baked Lemon and Goat Cheese Dip by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cauliflower Salad by Wallflour Girl
- Green Asparagus Soup with Seared Scallops by An Appealing Plan
- Panzanella Primavera by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Skillet Spinach Artichoke Dip by Life Tastes Good
- Asparagus Gribiche by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Mustard Vinaigrette by Food Done Light
- Sauteed Artichokes & Potatoes by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Spring Green Rice by Magnolia Days
- Artichoke Pesto Pasta by PancakeWarriors
- Crispy Honey Chicken Spring Salad by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Early Spring Risotto by Cooking Chat
- Honey Lemon Shrimp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Lamb Stew by Food Lust People Love
- Perfect Scrambled Eggs with Asparagus, Goat Cheese and Chives by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Quiche Florentine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Roasted Lamb Chops, Fontina Cheese Polenta with Asparagus and Mushrooms by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Root Vegetable Risotto by Momma’s Meals
- Spring Vegetable Risotto by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Salmon and Strawberry Spinach Salad with a Kentucky Maple Vinaigrette by Dandelion Greens
- Tilapia with Classic Pesto by Whole Food | Real Families
- Veal Stew with Spring Greens by The Texan New Yorker
- Blueberry Coconut Macaroons by Pies and Plots
- Blueberry Rhubarb Muffins by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Cookies by Noshing With The Nolands
- Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Lemon Cream Pie with Girl Scouts Lemonade Cookie Crust by Our Good Life
- Lemon Meringue Pie by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Palm Sunday Easter Bread by Love and Confections
- Pretzels, Peanut Butter, and Beer Cake Recipe by Recipe for Perfection
- Sticky Carrot Squares by What Smells So Good?
- Three Berry Coconut Crispies by Simply Healthy Family
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!