Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
I think everyone loves waffles. I know our president does. I am reminded of his classic quip while being hounded by the press for an interview during breakfast, with his warm plate growing cold before him.
“Why can’t I just eat my waffle?”
Yes, the job of being POTUS can be tough, even at breakfast. But you, dear reader, have no such worries. Can you eat your waffle? Why yes. Yes, you can eat your waffle, and even if you don’t have a recipe, Sunday Supper bloggers are right here to provide you with a bevvy of choices, both sweet and savory.
I am continually happy to be one of those bloggers, and enjoy helping the events come to fruition (I am hosting this one). And for this event, I decided to do something a little different by making a play off the old classic Monte Cristo sandwich. If you haven’t had one of those before, the sandwich is ham with cheese and raspberry jam inside of French toast.
But why should the French have all the fun?
Why shouldn’t waffles be as respectable in a croque monsieur?
Why can’t I just eat my waffle? (as a Monte Cristo?)
Why yes. Yes, you can.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy my little bit of humor as well as the sandwiches. We inhaled them. I know Dolores McFadden Montgomery, a woman I knew since I was a small kid, would be proud. Monte Cristo sandwiches were always her favorite. This could well be my new fav, for breakfast, brunch or brinner, it’s a winner.
Until next time-
Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich
- 4 slices thick soft white bread (Texas Toast)(not the frozen garlic bread type)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- pinch nutmeg
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 5 ounces thin deli sliced ham
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar or confectioner’s sugar
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and nutmeg.
- Dip bread slices in egg mixture then place in a waffle iron and cook until browned.
- Layer sandwich with ham and jam in between two slices of Swiss.
- Melt butter on a griddle and heat sandwiches until cheese melts and ham is hot.
- Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Hosted by Sue Lau of Palatable Pastime
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida’s Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Korean Fried Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love