Italian Inside-Out Grilled Cheese
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
I am tired as all get out and here it is Sunday night. I have been running all weekend like a dog chasing its tail until it just falls over in a heap. I thought weekends were for relaxing? Not this one.
But- trying to wind down here and get this post up on the blog while listening to Bach’s Brandenburg Concertos. It’s probably a little lively for this time of evening, especially whilst trying to write, but it is perhaps a bit more sedate than the Queens of the Stone Age.
So for today I am posting with a group of blogging friends for National Grilled Cheese month. I am actually going to post another grilled cheese in a couple of weeks with Sunday Supper, also with a few of the same people, as well as some others.
And here you thought I might be out of ideas after this intoxicatingly delicious piece of work. Not. I can shoot ideas out of my caboose faster than a gatling gun on steroids. Cook them too. It’s getting all the rest of the work done that slows me down. And wait till you see what I have planned. Quint said it best:
I promise. You’re gonna’ love it.
Ahh…the music selections have become more apropos for the time of night: Eric Satie’s Gnossienne #1, one of my favorite pieces of music by him (I am quite fond of classical music). You might recognize it from the film “The Painted Veil” with Ed Norton and Naomi Watts. I might be remiss in my duties if I didn’t overwhelm you with irrelevant movie trivia and blog muzak, but I hope you enjoy. Besides the music in that film, I am so enamored of the scenery from the filming locations. So beautiful.
But anyhoo, now that you’ve had your fill of that, perhaps you’ve worked up a bit of an appetite and want to move on to the recipe. I would. Or one of the other delicious recipes in today’s sandwich collection. There are almost enough sandwiches there to have one every day for two weeks, and by then, that next collection I spoke about should be on it’s way.
And my part in that one? The Spaghetti Meatballwich. Sounds like the Monster that Devoured Cleveland. Or not. You decide.
Italian Inside-Out Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices sourdough bread (from small sourdough boule)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons soft butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt (to taste, depends on salted or unsalted butter)
- 1/2 cup grated or shaved Parmesan cheese (avoid powdery type)
- Spread insides of bread with basil pesto and a sprinkle of oregano.
- Line with sliced fresh mozzarella and place bread slices together.
- Mix butter with garlic powder and salt.
- Spread outside of sandwich with butter.
- Press Parmesan onto outside of bread- if it falls off too much for you just sprinkle the parm straight onto the griddle and top with bread. I cover mine with a long spatula, turn it over and slide it off onto the griddle without a hitch.
- Toast the sandwich on both sides over low heat the usual m/o, until golden.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
National Grilled Cheese Month
It’s the start of Grilled Cheese Month, so we thought we’d give you lots of inspiration! Hosted by Caroline of Caroline’s Cooking – see all the delicious grilled cheese ideas being shared today:
- Apple Cheddar Bacon Grilled Cheese by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Apple Gouda Grilled Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Down the Grilled Cheese Rabbit Hole by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Cheddar, Onion and Tomato Sandwich by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Italian Inside-Out Grilled Cheese by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Reuben Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Quadruple Grilled Cheese by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Roast Beef, Brie and Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese by Family Around the Table
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich by All that’s Jas
- “The Jammin’ Jamaican” Chicken Grilled Cheese by Caroline’s Cooking
- Tish’s Tasty Turkey Grilled Cheese Sliders by Cooking With Carlee