Powerhouse Pumpkin Pancakes
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
#RecipeMakeover with the redone healthy recipes and a #Giveaway continues today. For my offering I have made a healthy breakfast treat of Powerhouse Pumpkin Pancakes with Barlean’s Digestive Blend and also Barlean’s Butter Flavored Coconut Oil.
I was happy to have had an extra can of pumpkin puree hiding in the back of my pantry for this, but I see they still have it in the stores nearby. This recipe adapts an older published recipe I put up years ago at Zaar- albeit that one used Bisquick as part of it. For this recipe, I subbed out the Bisquick with flour, baking powder and salt, and used buttermilk to provide that element.
The Barlean’s Digestive Blend is a mixture of ground flax seed, chia, coconut, pumpkin and quinoa. It cooks up readily into the pancake batter and has a mild pumpkin aroma. The Butter Flavored Coconut Oil is really nice because it carries no odor of coconut at all, which I know some people don’t like in their coconut oil as that aroma doesn’t always work. You don’t have to worry about that here.
Join me tomorrow when I finish up #RecipeMakeover Week (and the giveaway continues!) with my recipe for Greek Cauli-Rice, which is a mock rice pilaf using ground cauliflower, so it’s very low carb.
Powerhouse Pumpkin Pancakes
Makes about 10 (5-inch) pancakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Barlean’s Digestive Blend
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder (may use extract)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs or 1/2 cup egg whites
- 3 tablespoons Barlean’s Butter Flavored Coconut Oil, melted and cooled
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk or kefir
- Stir together dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add wet ingredients for the batter (not the whipped cream or maple syrup) and stir to mix.
- Pour half cup batter onto a lightly oiled griddle and cook several minutes on each side until browned.
- Serve with maple syrup and whipped cream.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Disclosure: I received samples of Barlean’s Digestive Blend and Barlean’s Butter Flavored Coconut oil products that were used in the preparation of this recipe. The recipe and all opinions about the product are my own.
Would you like more info about Barlean’s?
This week, I’ve joined forced with 40+ of my food blogger friends to present #RecipeMakeover. During this week, we’ll all be sharing our favorite better-for-you alternatives to unhealthy dishes. Follow along on any of the blogs below or with the hashtag on social media to find nutritious dishes that are packed with flavor.
A huge THANK YOU to our sponsors, who have made #RecipeMakeover possible! They’ve provided a number of awesome products that you can win by entering our #RecipeMakeover giveaway below.
Just follow the instructions below, and you could win the following prize pack:
- Butter-flavored coconut oil and digestive blend from our sponsor Barlean’s – Barlean’s butter-flavored coconut oil is an organic, dairy-free alternative that can be used as a 1:1 substitution for butter. Their digestive blend is an organic, vegan combination of flaxseed, chai seed, quinoa, unsweetened shredded coconut, and a proprietary pumpkin blend, that is delicious sprinkled into salads, smoothies, oatmeal, and more.
- Sampler pack of original, mesquite, and applewood Smokin O’s from our sponsor Smokin O’s – Instead of frying, choose a healthier cooking option like grilling! Smokin O’s is an innovative new product that allows you to add a natural wood taste even if you are using a propane grill, and they work great in charcoal grills and smokers too. No soaking, no mess, no wait – just delicious wood flavoring from a 100% natural product with no binders or chemicals.
- 4 flatbread pizzas from our sponsor American Flatbread – Choose from any of America Flatbread’s 15 all-natural, handmade pizza varieties, available at your local grocery store. These pizzas feature 100% organically grown wheat crusts and are topped with fresh herbs, vegetables, and cheeses (no rBST growth hormone!). They’re all-natural, with no preservatives, artificial colors or flavors, and handcrafted from scratch and par-baked in wood-fired ovens.
- 5 containers (48 oz) of ice cream from our sponsor Turkey Hill – Ice cream for a health food event? Try out their line of no-sugar-added products for a sweet treat without the guilt or their line of light ice creams, which have a rich taste with a fraction of the fat. They also have a rainbow sherbet option, which is Vitamin C and naturally low in fat. These all make great dessert options for special occasions. Turkey Hill also believes in implementing green initiatives to cut down on waste, reduce packaging, and minimize outputs into the environment.
- 15 tuna creations pouches from our sponsor StarKist – StarKist tuna pouches all have at least 13 grams of protein, and their BOLD line now includes three gluten-free varieties: Tuna Creations® BOLD Thai Chili Style; Tuna Creations® BOLD Jalapeño; and Tuna Creations® BOLD Hot Buffalo Style.
- Mueller Spiral-Ultra 4-Blade Spiralizer from blog hosts, The PinterTest Kitchen – this 4-in-1 gadget allows you to spiralize your favorite veggies, and it also has extra attachments for a juicer, mandolin and grater.
This prize pack is valued at over $200, and one lucky winner will get it all! This giveaway is open world-wide except where prohibited. A winner will be randomly drawn on April 29, at the conclusion of #RecipeMakeover, and the winner will be contact via email.
Enter the Giveaway Here!
you get a chance with each one you follow
Thank you to all of our participating bloggers. Click the links below to find out what recipes they’re cooking up for #RecipeMakeover:
The PinterTest Kitchen • Fix Me a Little Lunch • Rosie Discovers • crave the good • Zesty South Indian Kitchen • That Recipe • The Domestic Dietitian • Authentically Candace • Eat, Drink, Be Healthy! • Body Rebooted • Cindy’s Recipes and Writings • Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice • Feeding Big • Natural Contents • Seduction In The Kitchen • Everyday Eileen • Family Around The Table • Fairyburger • Jane’s Adventures in Dinner • Kitchen Counter Chronicles • Kate’s Recipe Box • Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats • Chocolate Slopes • Little House Big Alaska • Makes, Bakes and Decor • 2 Cookin’ Mamas • Meadoe Out on a Limb • Strawberry Blondie Kitchen • Mel Claire • Cookaholic Wife • For the Love of Food • The Saucy Southerner • Cook’s Hideout • Two Lazy Gourmets • Ink and Sugar • Cookingwithsapana • The Chef Next Door • Sarah Cooks the Books • Chef Sarah Elizabeth • Frankly Entertaining • Palatable Pastime • Our Good Life • The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine • A Day in the Life on the Farm
Stay tuned to see all of the delicious recipes bloggers create during #RecipeMakeover! Click on the hop link button to be transported to the other recipes:
Each daily linky party has different recipes in it from Monday through Friday so if you’d like to see the others, refer to the linkups in the blog posts earlier in the week!