Chicken and Dumplings
Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
It’s time for Sunday Supper and this week we are blogging about comfort food soup and stew recipes. For me, this means a trip down memory lane to the kind of chicken and dumplings the way my mother made it.
There are a couple of different ways to make it, chicken on the bone or off. Dumplings made from biscuit dough or rolled and cut. Mine is the kind made with chicken drumsticks and also parsley dumplings.
It was my joy to visit my father again this summer although bittersweet following my brother passing away. Any time I visit him, I always cook up a storm. And on this occasion I asked him if there was anything special that he’d like, and he mentioned chicken and dumplings.He’d been getting a bit thin of late so I was happy that he ate several helpings and enjoyed every bite.
I don’t gloat, but my chix & dumplings are much better than my mom’s ever were. Not for flavor, but hers was perhaps a bit more soupy than mine, and also her chicken didn’t have as good a finish on the skin. But I know she would not hold it against me, but rather enjoy it in pride. For if the next generation cooks a step higher than the first, then the first cook has indeed passed on all her knowledge and the child takes it further.
I hope my daughter cooks everything in her kitchen better than me. It’s the core reason for my blog–a place for her to find what I cook and compare notes. After all, she lives miles from her mother, as I did from my own mother. Life has carried us all on the breeze.
Be sure not to miss my bonus post for the day: Caramel Apple Cereal Bars, which I am posting with a group of bloggers for Halloween Food and Fun! Can you believe it’s almost Halloween already?
Oh, and I saw they have Christmas candy on the market shelves already. Yeesh!
Chicken and Dumplings
- 2-1/2 pounds chicken drumsticks (about 8)
- salt and black pepper
- flour as needed (to dredge chicken)
- cooking oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 48 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- Season chicken with salt and pepper then dredge in flour and shake off excess.
- Brown chicken in about 1/2 inch of cooking oil in a skillet then drain and set aside.
- Heat butter in a dutch oven and add celery, carrots and onions, and saute until onions soften but not browned.
- Add garlic, bay leaf, thyme and poultry seasoning, stirring well.
- Add flour, stirring to coat the vegetables, then stir in the chicken broth and cook until it comes to a boil, stirring.
- Place chicken drumsticks on top,then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes.
- While chicken cooks, prepare the dumplings.
- Place shortening, flour, baking powder and salt in a food processor and pulse to mix.
- Add dried parsley, chives and buttermilk, stirring by hand to make a batter. Set aside.
- Remove chicken legs from stew and keep warm.
- Add milk to stew and stir.
- Drop dumpling batter into boiling stew by the tablespoonful; cook uncovered at a simmer for 12 minutes.
- Then cover the pot and cook 10-12 minutes more or until dumplings are cooked thorough.
- Remove dumplings from stew and place in a dish. Add the chicken back to the pan to briefly warm, then serve chicken and stew with dumplings.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Comfort Food Soup and Stew Recipes #SundaySupper
- “Make it Your Own” Soup Bar by The Freshman Cook
- Baked Potato Soup by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cabbage and Kielbasa Soup by Our Good Life
- Chicken and Dumplings by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup by Pies and Plots
- Gnocchi, Sausage & Spinach Soup by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Habitant Pea Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup by Sunday Supper Movement
- Meatball and Orzo Soup by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Milchnudeln (German Milk Noodles) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Mushroom Fennel Soup by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pasta Fagioli Soup by Soulfully Made
- Slow Cooker Black Bean Chili by Cricket’s Confections
- Crock Pot Chicken Posole by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Smoky Chicken-Potato Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Brazilian Seafood Stew with Coconut Milk by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Spicy Lentil Soup with Swiss Chard by Cooking Chat
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.