Frito Corn Dog Muffins
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
It’s time for Muffin Monday again! And just by chance it happens to be #NationalCornChipDay as well. So why not put two and two together and have some fun?
I hadn’t made corn dog muffins before, although I have made plenty of corn dogs. We love them (and hot dogs in general) being from the Midwest and also some German ancestry. They say hot dogs are All-American, but German immigrants have brought their love of wursts here and it carries on to this day.
I’ve also made lots of corn muffins, and regarding the sugar issue, I like both kinds, depending on what I am eating them with. No-sugar muffins for my ham and bean soup of course, but I do like a sweeter corn bread to have on the side with roasted chicken or barbecue instead of a dinner roll.
And while these are corn dog muffins, and they are going to have a tiny bit of sugar in there because that’s how corndog batter is done, these are not as filling as normal corndogs, so don’t plan on having these as a dinner entree or corndog snack. They are a little bit lightweight for it.
These do have good corndog flavor though (I suppose the touch of mustard helps) and with the Fritos being my “Chopped basket ingredient” of sorts, I did work out well how to incorporate those. They add a little bit of crunch which is really cool. And the best part is that when you go to reheat these (you will need to refrigerate the extras for food safety) they are still going to have some of that Frito crunch. Which is kind of like a corn dog when it is fried.
Don’t forget to check out the rest of the muffins this month (scroll down below the recipe)- mine is the only savory one, but the rest will be great for breakfast or with afternoon coffee or tea.
Frito Corn Dog Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup crushed Frito corn chips
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 ounces finely diced beef hot dogs
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 extra hot dog, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 12-15 cup muffin tin and set aside. (I used 2 pans)
- Mix together the flour, crushed corn chips, corn meal, salt, pepper, garlic powder, baking powder, and sugar in a bowl.
- Add diced hot dogs and cheese, tossing to coat in the flour.
- Separately, whisk the eggs and stir together with the oil, buttermilk and mustard.
- Stir the egg mix into the flour mix, blending just until all is wet and combined.
- Place batter into muffin cups.
- Top each with a slice of hot dog, pressing in gently.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes, then turn out and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate unused portions.
- Serve with chili, or drizzled with ketchup and mustard (as you might a corn dog).
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
- Banana Blueberry Muffins with Steel Cut Oats from Farm Fresh Feasts
- Banana Craisin Muffins with Streusel Topping from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Frito Corn Dog Muffins from Palatable Pastime
- Vanilla Pear Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Whole Wheat Banana Muffins from Passion Kneaded
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.