Oven Baked Blueberry Pancake
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
The Ready Set Cook cooking challenge is being continued in one of my cooking groups, and in this second part, I am posting this recipe for Oven Baked Blueberry Pancake for the breakfast/brunch recipes.
This recipe is a bit similar to recipes I have posted for German Apple Pancake, Dutch Baby and Dutch Baby with Apples. It is egg heavy so won’t taste like a griddled flapjack, but more like a Yorkshire Pudding, albeit sweet or possibly a little bit like a clafoutis.
It is very good with sprinkled sugar and extra berries for toppings, but if you like you can make a blueberry sauce or perhaps serve it with whipped cream. It would also pair easily with lemon wedges or standard maple syrup. But for the #RSC presentation, it stands on its own with the sugar and berries, since ingredients are constricted in this cooking challenge.
Another year, another #RSC
If you recall, a couple weeks ago I told you about #RSC, in that I have been presented with a limited list of cooking ingredients and am confined to that to develop recipes. It’s sort of like a chopped basket.
Here are links to the recipes I created a couple of weeks ago in Round One:
My Curried Chicken Lollipops appear to be the most well received, although I like them all. I think the ease of that recipe made it popular.
And earlier in the week, I posted my first two RSC recipes for Round 2, one for desserts, and amother for condiments/sauces/gravies:
For the second round I will have four recipes again, the last one being my recipe for Spicy Asian Chicken Tacos.
Also, for those who have followed me online over the years, here is one of the recipes I put in for the first RSC on Recipezaar back in 2002. It won.
Here is another recipe that won in a RSC a different year, and also in a CSM contest:
I also have had second and third place winners (I played whenever I could) but I don’t recall them all. I’ve been posting for over 15 years and the line of recipes goes back beyond easy memory. I’d have to take the old brain and think on it. 😉
#RSC Round Two
For the second round, the ingredients and courses have changed from round one. The object is to select a course, and create a recipe using one of the main ingredients and anything from the pantry list but nothing else. I wonder…what would you have made with these?
Round 2 – Theme – Spring – Categories :
- Main Dishes
Round 2 – Main Ingredients List
- Yellow cornmeal
- Fresh papaya
- Heavy cream
- Berries/ blueberries/raspberries/blackberries/strawberries/cranberries
- Herbs/fresh – mint/cilantro/parsley/chives
- Instant vanilla pudding
- Tart cherries
Round 2 – Pantry List
- Soy sauce
- Chicken /vegetable broth
- Tomato sauce
- Vegetables (tomatoes allowed as a pseudo-veg)
- Old-fashioned oats
- Baking soda
- Flour/ white/brown/baking/rice/potato/corn
- Vanilla extract
- Sugar/ white/icing/brown/yellow
- Baking powder
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Plain gelatin
- Certo – (thickener for jam/jelly)
- Hot Sauce
- Ginger/ nutmeg/cinnamon/all spice/mace/cardamom/star anise/coriander/fennel/caraway/anise seeds
- Sour cream/ creme fraiche/thick yogurt
Oven Baked Blueberry Pancake
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- extra blueberries and powdered sugar (as your topping)
- Preheat both oven and a 10-inch cast iron skillet to 450°F.
- Beat eggs for batter until frothy.
- Stir in the water, heavy cream, flour, salt, cinnamon and baking powder. Whisk until smooth.
- When the skillet is preheated, remove it from the oven and melt the butter in it, swirling to coat.
- Sprinkle the blueberries over the bottom of the skillet.
- Pour the pancake batter over all.
- Place skillet back in the oven and bake for 18-25 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Allow skillet to sit for a few minutes, then run a knife around the edge to loosen the pancake.
- Place a large plate or serving platter over the skillet and carefully invert the pancake, use a serving plate to invert it again to the original side .
- Slice and serve topped with fresh blueberries and powdered sugar or other toppings of your choice.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
You Might Also Like: