Hawaiian Hot Dogs
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
I plan to be posting cookout recipes each and every day this week, beginning with this fun and quirky recipe for Hawaiian Hot Dogs which includes its own fresh relish.
The rest of the week I will be posting as follows:
- Tuesday: Grilled Duck Tacos with Salsa Naranja (feat. roast duck from one of the sponsors, Maple Leaf Farms)
- Wednesday: Korean Short Ribs (Kalbi Kui)
- Thursday: Grilled Shrimp Souvlaki
- Friday: Macaroni Salad Caprese
- Saturday: Pineapple Lemonade
Hawaiian Hot Dog with Fresh Relish
Allow 1-3 hours extra inactive chill time for relish (you can do this ahead)
Fresh Hawaiian Relish Ingredients:
- 1-1/2 cups diced English cucumber
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 1/3 cup minced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, toasted
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 8 pineapple slices
- Prepare Hawaiian relish by stirring together the cucumber, onion, bell pepper with the salt and letting drain in a colander for one hour.
- After one hour, rinse vegetables thoroughly under cold water and drain.
- While the water is dripping off, stir together the sugar, pineapple juice, vinegar, mustard, celery seed, pepper flakes and pineapple.
- Mix in the rinsed and drained veggies and refrigerate for 1-3 hours.
- Stir together the teriyaki mayo and keep chilled until needed.
- Cook bacon, crumble and keep nearby.
- Heat grill and grill pineapple until they get grill marks.
- Also grill hot dogs and toast the buns.
- To build, split the hot dogs down the center and place on buns with grilled pineapple pieces cut in half, teriyaki mayo and Hawaiian relish.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com