Sweet corn cake, or also called tamalitos has the texture of spoon bread, and is like the version served at Mexican restaurants.
Sweet Corn Cake (Tamalitos)
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
My recipe of the day is with the Festive Foodies group, who are posting holiday side dishes this week. You may have already seen my recipe I posted the other day (we are posting every other day) for low carb Thanksgiving stuffing or dressing. I’ll be posting a couple others later this week as well: Broccoli Casserole on Thursday and a Roasted Apple and Butternut Squash salad on Sunday.
I had the idea to make this again after a couple of tries for corn casserole that didn’t turn out as I had hoped- each time they were good, but not what I was looking for. Then I saw a packet of ChiChi’s sweet corn cake mix in the store and gave it a peek. One of the different things was that it didn’t use the Jiffy mix at all, which adds a bit of flour. Also this recipe doesn’t use eggs, which in a different recipe yielded a more quiche like result (minus the crust) and wasn’t what I really wanted.
So I bought the mix and brought it home and weighed out what was in it by the ingredient list, and used their directions to bake. Except for needing to bake a touch longer than they said, it turned out great. Now you don’t have to buy the packet and pay extra for the convenience of measuring it out. There really isn’t a whole lot to it.
So if the corn casseroles you have been doing aren’t what you’ve been looking for, you might want to give this one a try.
Besides a Thanksgiving side, I might like this at a barbecue too. I’ve been served that instead of corn bread and it was really good. And to serve this, you just use your ice cream scoop on it, as it is a bit of spoon bread after all.
Holiday Side Dishes
From the Festive Foodies Blogging Group
Hosted by Heather King
- Autumn Orzo Salad from Sweet Beginnings
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes from Everyday Eileen
- Company Rice from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Dilly Carrots from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- French Onion Pull-Apart Rolls from The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Mushroom Skewers from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes from Caroline’s Cooking
- Make Ahead Turkey Gravy from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Maple Chipotle Hasselback Butternut Squash from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Mashed Potatoes for a Crowd from Cookaholic Wife
- Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Savory Onion and Bacon Bread Pudding from Our Good Life
- Slow Cooker Glazed Green Beans with Bacon from Tip Garden
- Sweet Corn Cake from Palatable Pastime
- Sweet Skillet Cornbread from Daily Dish Recipes
- Vegan Creamed Greens from The Baking Fairy
Sweet Corn Cake (Tamalitos)
- 1-1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup melted cooled butter
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream style corn
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter or grease a one pound glass loaf pan (about 9x5x3 inches).
- Stir together all the ingredients and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake, uncovered, for 55-65 minutes or until set.
- Serve with a scoop, like spoon bread.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
You Might Also Like:
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links which offer sources for ingredients and equipment, if needed. Clicking on them doesn’t cost you anything but helps pay the electric bill and keep the blog lights on should you purchase anything during your visit! Thanks for your support.