Pork meets figs in this delicious melange of flavor of ham, bacon, prosciutto, gorgonzola and mozzarella on a whole wheat pizza crust.
Porky Fig Pizza
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Disclaimer: This giveaway has been sponsored by Valley Fig. I was sent a California Fig Care Package purpose creating this recipe, but all opinions are my own. #ad #VFigFeed #ValleyFigHolidays #12DaysofChristmas #giveaway
My recipe of the day for today is a spin-off of a favorite pizza of mine from a local eatery, which they dub the porky fig pizza. My version is slightly different from theirs in the toppings and make-up but I do prefer mine (theirs has jam instead of sliced figs among other things).
You might think this is a sweet pizza with the addition of fig and honey, but really, it is not. The flavors are quite balanced by the gorgonzola cheese as well as the balsamic reduction. I know I wouldn’t like a sweet pizza if it was not a dessert, so rest assured you have a nice savory pizza here.
I used ready to go whole wheat pizza dough from Trader Joe’s, but feel free to use whichever you like.
I do think the whole wheat flavor is particularly suited for the flavors in this one. I don’t always care for whole wheat dough in a pizza as I usually like a tangy sourdough with tomato sauce, but since this is simply dressed with olive oil you don’t have to worry about that.
I used the Mission Figlets on my pizza, which as essentially just smaller figs. They are easy to slice, and if you use other sizes of figs, the required amount I have given in a measure as opposed to a quantity. So that is easy to figure out.
I love the flavor melange. This would be great at a pizza party for gameday along with a selection of other pizzas for variety. It is also an excellent choice for the countdown on New Year’s Eve.
As our year comes to a close, I am sure you will find many occasions for it, including busy days since this one doesn’t take long to make.
I hope you enjoy and don’t forget to enter the giveaway sponsored by Valley Fig! Lots of yummy figs and and heavy stack of cookbooks could be yours. Good luck in the drawing!
California Fig Care Package Giveaway
About California Valley Figs
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant a variety of affiliate programs, including in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
Did you know that California produces 100% of US dried figs? California farmers started growing figs commercially in 1885 and today Golden Figs and Mission Figs are the two most popular varieties grown in the state. There are so many ways to use heart-healthy figs! Check out the Valley Fig website for more recipes ideas.
California Valley Fig Care Package
This awesome prize package will contain the following items:
- Sun Maid California Mission-Figs
- Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice Bite-Size Mission Figs
- The Complete Cooks Country TV Show Cookbook
- The America’s Test Kitchen Cooking School Cookbook
- Cook’s Illustrated: The Science of Good Cooking
Official Rules and Conditions: One winner will receive a California Fig Care Package from Valley Fig. No cash value. Open worldwide to adults 18+. One (1) winner will be chosen. Prize must be claimed within 48 hours of announcement or a new winner will be drawn. Prize will be delivered by Valley Fig; bloggers are not responsible for delivery of the prize. All entries will be verified. This giveaway is in no way associated with Amazon, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Rafflecopter, or any other entity unless otherwise specified. Giveaway ends 12/22/2018. Enter using the link below.
Enter to Win!
click here——->>>>A Rafflecopter Giveaway<<<——-
Be sure to check out all the 12 Days of Christmas Giveaways!
Porky Fig Pizza
- 16 ounces Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 ounces thinly sliced ham
- 10 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1/2 cup roasted garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup dried mission figs, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic reduction
- Preheat pizza stone in oven at 425°F.
- Place pizza dough onto parchment on a pizza peel, and let warm for twenty minutes.
- Spread pizza out with your fingers into a ten inch round.
- Drizzle with olive oil and honey.
- Layer pizza with ingredients, putting the deli ham under the cheese and finishing with a drizzle of balsamic reduction (not just balsamic vinegar, but the thicker stuff).
- Slide parchment onto the heated pizza stone and bake for 15 minutes or until as browned as you like.
- Pull pizza out onto the peel, and remove parchment from underneath, and slice and serve as desired.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
You Might Also Like:
Green Lantern Pizza