Beer Brat Nachos
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
My recipe of the day is for Beer Brat Nachos with Foodie Extravaganza for National Nachos Day. After all, who doesn’t love a pile of cheesy nachos?
Except, of course, you are probably expecting a pileup of doritos covered with cheese and a handful of jalapenos, right?
Being huge Green Bay Packer- backers here at Palatable, we do dig the bratwurst, which is done Sheboygan style (aka simmered in beer of course). And any self-respecting brat on a bun has to have the toppings du jour, and in this case that comes down to sauerkraut, a few bits and bobs of sundry sprinkles and beer cheese, of course.
Baked up on a quarter sheet tray you have a pileup worthy of four- pass the forks around or just let the guys dig in with their fingers. Napkins are always at the ready. So munch on, dudes!
- Beef Fajita Nachos Compuestos from Food Lust People Love
- Beer Brat Nachos from Palatable Pastime (You are Here!)
- Breakfast Nachos from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Chorizo Nachos from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Garam Masala Lamb Naan-chos from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Deep Fried Nachos With Cheese Sauce from Sneha’s Recipe
- Leftover Turkey Nachos with Cranberry Salsa from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pizza Nachos from Making Miracles
Foodie Extravaganza is where we celebrate obscure food holidays by cooking and baking together with the same ingredient or theme each month.
Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you’re a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board!
You Might Also Like:
Beer Brat Nachos
Beer Brat Nachos
For the beer brats:
- 19 ounces Johnsonville bratwurst sausages
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 12 ounces lager beer such as Pabst
For the Beer Cheese:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup beer brat liquid
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
For the Nachos:
- 1 large bag tortilla chips or as needed
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces sauerkraut drained and chopped and heated up
- sliced banana peppers as desired
- sliced scallions as desired
- sour cream as desired
- sliced cherry tomatoes as desired
- Preheat oven to 350F.
Braise the bratwurst
- Brown the brats in the oil then add the onion, garlic and beer.
- Simmer the brats until cooked through and tender, about 20 minutes. Let cool.
Make the beer cheese
- To make the beer cheese, melt the butter in a skillet and whisk in the flour.
- Add 2 cups cold milk and half cup of whatever beer remained in the brat pan along with the mustard.
- Whisk over low heat until mixture comes to a boil, then boil one minute to thicken.
- Remove pan from heat and add the cheese, continuing to whisk and melt it; set aside.
Build the nachos
- Dice up brats into crumbly pieces.
- Place an initial layer of chips on a pan and load half the toppings, but not the sour cream or scallions, or tomatoes.
- Cover with more chips then the rest of the toppings, except the cold toppings I mentioned.
- Bake in the oven about five minutes to melt the cheese, then add the sour cream, scallions and tomatoes.