Pizza Bombs are the cheese topped pizza version of ordinary sausage balls, easily mixed, scooped and baked to perfection.
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Pizza Bombs is my recipe of the day with the blogging group Baking Bloggers. We get together on the second Monday of the month to post recipes on topics we vote on. The most popular one wins.
This month we are blogging about small bites in baking, because who doesn’t like to nibble?
These are quite like sausage balls which you may have tried before (made with bisquick). I love them as pizza bites.
Not quite a meatball and nothing like a biscuit, topped with melted cheese they are great to pop into the mouth. They make a perfect party appetizer.
Makes about 6 dozen- and you can freeze up and bag extras to serve later or just plan ahead and freeze them all until needed. It’s always great to get party food baked and out of the way.
Serve with extra pizza sauce as a dip if you like, but they are quite yummy as is.
Baking Bloggers February 2021
Bite Size Baking
- Baked Tater Tots from Magical Ingredients
- Breakfast Toast Cups from Making Miracles
- Chocolate Bouchons from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Eggless Pineapple Cupcakes from Sneha’s Recipe
- Hertzoggies (South African Jam and Coconut Tartlets) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Honey-Kissed Savory Shortbread Crackers from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Muffin Pizzas from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pizza Bombs from Palatable Pastime (You are Here!)
- Potato Salad Bites from Food Lust People Love
- Prickly Pear Tartlets from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
You Might Also Like:
First, Pizza Joes are the saucy and chock full of your favorite pizza toppings cousin to sloppy joe sandwiches and perfect for pizza night.
Then, Mini Pizza Bites downsize a regular sized pizza into perfect party appetizer sized bites with tiny sausage, mini pepperoni, and cheese.
Next, Copycat Taco Bell Mexican Pizza is easy to make at home with simple methods and ingredients instead of making a run for the border.
As well, Mushroom Pizza Grilled Cheese combines sauteed mushrooms, pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese between two buttery, crispy slices of grilled sourdough bread.
Finally, Pizza Focaccia is a yeasty flat bread easily made into a sheet pan pizza bread for snacking or pizza night with a few extra toppings.
- silicone baking sheets
- 2-1/4 cups baking mix such as Bisquick
- 12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces pepperoni
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup diced pimiento
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1-3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 8 ounces finely shredded Mozzarella cheese for topping
- Additional pizza sauce to dip optional
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Finely chop the pepperoni or pulse in a food processor until it looks like bacon bits.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the baking mix, mozzarella, chopped pepperoni. Parmesan, red onion, garlic, pimiento, and oregano.
- In another small bowl, combine the uncooked sausage with the pizza sauce until the sauce incorporates.
- Them mix the meat into the flour mix and stir/knead until it becomes a dough.
- Use a one-tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop dough out onto two silpat lined baking sheet (or you may use parchment).
- Place baking sheets in the preheated oven and bake 15 minutes.
- Remove pans and sprinkle tops of bombs with some of the finely shredded mozzarella.
- Switch rack positions and bake for another 15 minutes or until golden.
- You can serve with more pizza sauce as a dip if you like, or just as is while warm.
- Extras can be frozen and reheated if desired.
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!