Polish Jelly Donuts
Pączki: Polish Jelly Donuts (Punchky) are traditional jelly-filled donut treat for Polish Paczki Day.
Servings: 15 donuts
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups whole milk warmed to 115°F.
- 10 grams vanilla flavored vodka just over 1 tbsp
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter cooled to room temperature
- 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- cooking oil as needed
- powdered sugar (several cups sifted)
- 12 ounces strawberry jelly or other flavor; can also use lemon curd or vanilla pudding or custard
Combine yeast, milk, vodka, egg yolks, egg, sugar, salt, melted butter and flour in an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.2) Mix until dough comes together away from the sides, but is still a little bit sticky.3) Cover mixer bowl with plastic wrap in a warm, draft-free place and let the dough double in size, about one hour.4) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat out with your fingers, adding a little flour if necessary on the surface, until it is about half inch thick.5) Turn oven on low for five minutes them turn it off.6) Cut circles of dough out and place on a parchment paper sprayed with nonstick oil lined baking sheet.7) Place the baking sheets in the oven (OVEN TURNED OFF!) and allow to proof/rise, for thirty minutes.8) As soon as you start proofing the donuts, heat oil halfway in a dutch oven to 350°F.9) When oil is hot and donuts have risen again, gently drop them in the oil and cook 45 seconds to one minute on each side, using chopsticks to flip them.10) Lift donuts out with a spider or other flat strainer and allow to cool completely on wire cookie racks set over paper bags (bags to catch any oil drips). Make sure the donuts are cold before you fill or sugar.11) Fill donuts using a filling tip on a pastry bag filled with squished jelly.12) Roll donuts in sifted powdered sugar, gently tapping off excess.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
- Eat and serve as soon as possible, since they will go stale within about one day.