Join the Sunday Supper TasteMakers this Sunday for a 45+ delicious waffle recipes!
A #SundaySupper Preview of Waffles!
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
It’s always fun to host a Sunday Supper event when the topic is one I enjoy.
Did you know? The waffle comes from the Frankish wafla, meaning honeycomb cake. Obviously, someone who knew the ins and outs of the best kind of breakfast food discovered all the little pockets in the waffles were perfect for holding buttery syrups, the most popular topping.
But syrups and waffles are not exclusive. At the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis, the summer weather was so humid and sultry that ice cream dishes quickly ran out. Undeterred, enterprising vendors collaborated with waffle vendors to concoct a cone to hold the ice cream from a folded and pressed waffle and wala, the ice cream cone was born.
But the creativity of the foodie did not stop there. Love of waffles also extended into waffles fries and also chicken and waffles. And you know how food bloggers are. Next thing people knew, we were making hash browns in a waffle iron, because yes, you can pretty much cook anything in a waffle iron and most times successfully.
And below we have a number of traditional as well as slightly untraditional ways of enjoying waffles, all from the skilled kitchens of the Sunday Supper bloggers. It’s a lot of fun taking part in these weekly events, from starting with a recipe concept to finishing up chatting in Twitter on Sunday evening. Everyone is welcome to chat along. Won’t you join us this week?
And if you are a food blogger who enjoys posting along with a group, the upcoming Sunday Supper blogging events over the next few weeks include recipes for 4th of July, Pina Coladas/Coconut, and Peaches. It’s very easy to participate and someone can help you figure out exactly what to do if you need. Message me below (in the comments) or inquire on site or in the FaceBook group. More information on SSM is below.
Hosted by Sue Lau of Palatable Pastime
(All recipes available on Sunday morning 6.26.16)
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Black Raspberry Cheesecake Lemon Waffles by From Gate to Plate
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida’s Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- “Elvis Waffles” Peanut Butter Bacon with Banana by Dash of Evans
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Iced Gluten Free Waffle Cookies by What The Fork Food Blog
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Eggs Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Falafel Waffles by Helpful Homemade
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement