Honey-Glazed Bacon-Wrapped Ham wraps oven baked ham in a basketweave pattern of bacon with a honey glaze to make an easy holiday dinner.
Honey-Glazed Bacon-Wrapped Ham
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
This week for #SundaySupper we are sharing some of our favorite holiday recipe ideas for serving on a buffet. I know the buffet word can seem a little daunting, but with a little bit of thought, you can easily work it out.
Holiday buffets at home are usually for brunch or the dinner meal, although you can also do a buffet of appetizers.
So I wanted to share this simple ham recipe with you- it is perfect for brunch time or dinner time either way, and looks impressive with the bacon, without being overly large.
And the best part about it is that there is really not that much to it, and believe me, after you have finished cooking all those other things, you will thank me for this.
But don’t think that because it isn’t complicated that it somehow isn’t buffet worthy. You know, it’s all about the bacon. Once you put the bacon on the ham, it does it’s bacon-magic thing, drip drip dripping all that yummy bacon flavor over the ham while it bakes.
Once you pull it out and drizzle the honey over it all, it sets right in, all without having to mix a glaze, brush it on, or have curious (and perhaps unwanted) spice flavors mingling. I love a little clove flavor on my ham, but not everyone does. It’s kind of old-fashioned. And cloves do interfere if you are serving the ham where people might want to make a sandwich.
Sometimes simple is best. And I only managed to pull this recipe out of thin air by being behind in the middle of cooking dinner, and not wanting my guests to wait. You know, I am a food blogger, but also (thankfully) human as well. And do you know how happy I was that something this easy tasted so good that I can even plan to be this lazy next time?
Ecstatic. So do a happy dance with me, and you don’t have to tell them how easy it was. Just hoover up the compliments and smile. It’s the American Way. ~s
You might also like:
Brown Sugar Glazed Baked Ham
First, Brown Sugar Glazed Baked Ham whips up a great glaze that is both savory and sweet to put on your holiday ham.
Hawaiian Brown Sugar Glazed Ham
Next, Hawaiian Brown Sugar Glazed Ham makes a wonderfully easy old-fashioned Polynesian style ham for any holiday or family meal.
Spiral Sliced Coca-Cola Ham
Or Spiral Sliced Coca-Cola Ham is a classic southern style baked ham basted with the popular soda/pop.
Brown Sugar Peach Glazed Ham
Then Brown Sugar Peach Glazed Ham has a sweet fruity glaze studded with peaches, raisins and spice.
Grilled Carver Ham with Apple-Bourbon Glaze
Finally, Grilled Carver Ham with Apple-Bourbon Glaze is perfect for early autumn outdoor grilling and family dinners.
Honey-Glazed Bacon-Wrapped Ham
- 8-10 pound bone-in Smoked Ham half (Shank Portion)
- 1-1/2 pounds thick sliced smoked bacon
- honey (several tablespoons or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Unwrap ham and lightly score the exterior in a cross-hatch pattern with a sharp knife. Not too deep.
- Place cut side down on a baking sheet with about half cup water.
- Secure bacon strips with toothpicks along one side, then along the top.
- Working back and forth, weave bacon over and under, back and forth, and securing the ends with toothpicks.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes per pound or until it reaches 140°F. with an instant-read thermometer, tenting bacon if it browns excessively (mine did not, but just in case- you don't want it burning).
- Remove ham from oven and drizzle with honey to your heart's desire.
- Don't forget to remove the toothpicks (carefully-don't tear the weave apart) before carving/slicing.
Buffet Menu Ideas #SundaySupper
- Buffalo Wing Cauliflower by April Golightly
- Charcuterie Buffet by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pesto Goats Cheese Filo Parcels by Caroline’s Cooking
- Roasted Beet Dip with Fennel and Garlic by Cooking Chat
Sundry of Savory Dishes
- Honey-Glazed Bacon-Wrapped Ham by Palatable Pastime
- Old Fashioned Potato Gratin by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Squash and Mushroom Gratin with Granola Topping by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cherry Pie Blondies by Pies and Plots
- Gingerbread Cookie Cups w/ Tapioca Pudding by The Freshman Cook
- Puff Pastry Ravioli Mince Pies by Food Lust People Love
- Raspberry Topped Mini Cheesecakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- White Chocolate Christmas Crack Recipe by Sunday Supper Movement
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!
SO pretty, Sue. It sure makes for an impressive sight on the buffet table!!!
This is a show stopper! I can’t wait to impress family and friends with this ham at our next party or holiday gathering!
Pin bacon to ham with cloves instead of toothpicks, if you like clove flavor. I do.
Never done it, but trying it today.