Xangos, or fried cheesecake chimichangas, is a delicious Mexican dessert often served with whipped cream or ice cream.
Xangos (Mexican Cheesecake Chimichangas)
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
My recipe of the day is for Xangos, which is a type of Mexican dessert often known as deep fried cheesecake, or cheesecake chimichangas. This is my first recipe of several in celebration of Spring.
Xango have cheesecake filling wrapped inside of a large flour tortilla, which is plastic wrapped and frozen until firm. This helps to retain the shape and keep the filling from becoming too hot. Hot cheesecake is not a good thing.
And even though it is frozen firm, I add a toothpick as I do when making chimis or taquitos, because the outside fold of tortilla warms quickly, and you will want that to stay close to the chimi as it crisps up.
But once the fold is browned, you can remove the toothpick to easily make sure your chimi browns nicely on all sides.
From there it is a quick drain on paper toweling and then quickly into the sugar while it is hot.
The sugar adds extra flavor to the crust, and is spiced with both cinnamon and chocolate for that “Mexican chocolate” experience. From here, give it a quick cut and prop on a plate with the garnishes of your choice. Whipped cream and berries are lovely, but ice cream is a favorite too.
Join all the bloggers as we present an array of delicious desserts for you to peruse and explore for your Springtime menu planning.
What will you make for your Spring holiday desserts? Stay tuned all week long for the complete collection.
- A PEEP into the Upcoming #SpringSweetsWeek Festivities by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Blueberry Shortbread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Carrot Cake Balls by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Carrot Cake Nest Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Swirl Cheesecake by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Coconut Lemon Pound Cake by The Crumby Kitchen
- Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Double Lemon Buttercream Cupcakes by A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
- Easy Marshmallow Popcorn Balls by House of Nash Eats
- Easy Peanut Butter Cornflake Bars by Creative Southern Home
- Healthier Orange Julius Copycat by Simply Inspired Meals
- Individual Italian Easter Breads by Cookaholic Wife
- Lemon Blueberry Croissant Bread Pudding by The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Cream Pie by Home Sweet Homestead
- Lemon Ricotta Stuffed Crepes with Cherry Syrup by Cooking With Carlee
- Mini Key Lime Cheesecakes by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Mini Strawberry Mousse Tarts by A Savory Feast
- Orange Pineapple Nice Cream Pops by Crumb Top Baking
- Peach Blueberry Upside Down Cake by The Tip Garden
- Peeps Shortbread Checkerboard by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Roasted Strawberry Mousse Tart by The Gingered Whisk
- Soft Frosted Lemon Cookies by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Spring Fruit and Rice Krispies Treat Kabobs by Blogghetti
- Strawberry Raspberry Smoothie by Books n’ Cooks
- Sweet Breakfast Crepes by The Speckled Palate
- Toasted Pound Cake by Our Good Life
- Vanilla Bean Dutch Baby with Strawberry Hibiscus Syrup by The Baking Fairy
- White Cupcakes with Blueberry Frosting by Sweet Beginnings
You Might Also Like:
- 1 24.5 ounce tub Philadelphia Ready-to-Eat Cheesecake filling
- 9 Ten Inch- burrito sized flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking cocoa
- Garnish: strawberries chocolate syrup, or hot fudge, sprinkles, whipped cream
- Place 1/2 cup filling on each tortilla.Wrap tightly and place in plastic wrap or foil; freeze 45-60 minutes or until firm.
- Mix cinnamon, cocoa and sugar in a bowl.
- Pin tortillas closed with toothpicks if needed and fry until golden in shallow oil using a nonstick skillet.
- Dredge in cinnamon sugar blend while hot.
- Garnish as desired.