Strawberries and bananas team up in a tender light muffin to make a super delicious combination for your simple, on the go breakfast or brunch.
Strawberry Banana Muffins
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
My recipe of the day for #MuffinMonday is for Strawberry Banana muffins, which combine a couple of my favorite flavors for muffins in a single bite.
I love that strawberries are so readily available this time of year, and am always looking for new and fun ways to cook and bake with them. And of course, by early June I will go crazy with the local berries making up batches of homemade strawberry jam. In the meantime (since I have run out at home) I have been using some French jam (Bonne Maman) which is somewhat like a fruit spread, that is also about 30% lower in sugar. When I make from scratch for myself I will try to make it sugar free, but having a decent brand do reduced sugar is always a plus.
This still will have a bit of sugar, especially if you use the icing on top, which is really tasty. Of course, they are still good without. If you want to dodge sugar and dress them up, just reach for a pat of cold butter to tuck inside, or spread nicely with some clotted cream. Both will add extra decadence.
Muffin Monday: March 2019
- Browned Butter Banana Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Small Batch Apple Nut Oatmeal Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Strawberry Banana Muffins from Palatable Pastime
- Sugar Free Banana Pecan Muffins from Farm Fresh Feasts
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday can be found on our home page.
Strawberry Banana Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup cooled melted butter
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 10 tablespoons buttermilk 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 1 cup ripe strawberries chopped
- 2 teaspoons flour toss with chopped strawberries
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3/4 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Liberally grease 16-18 muffin cups in tins.
- Add dry ingredients to a bowl and stir.
- Mix in wet ingredients to make a batter.
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake muffins in the preheated oven for about 22 minutes, or until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted, can be removed without wet batter clinging to it.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes, then turn out and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mix frosting in a small bowl and drizzle over cooled muffins and let set up to dry, 30-45 minutes.