Peppermint Confetti Cupcakes
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which offer sources for ingredients and equipment, if needed. Clicking on them helps pay the electric bill and keep the blog lights on! Thanks for your support.
Today I am sharing my recipe for Peppermint Confetti Cupcakes with you for National Cupcake Day.
I have been SO busy I almost didn’t get these done, and almost forgot to sign on to this blogging event. But luckily I remembered in the nick of time.
This is quite an easy recipe since I use cake mix in it. I’d had it I think for a dump cake I was going to make but didn’t get around to, so what with it being year-end, I am trying to work up product on hand to get my pantry cleared. But on any given day I might use cake mix anyway since I enjoy the ease of them. If you like using a scratch recipe you probably have a favorite you already use, and that’s fine to plug in here, just as long as you have cupcakes. Just remember to add in the sprinkles.
Now the buttercream on this is from scratch, and no reason not to, since it is so easy. The only work is in making sure you sift the sugar, because powdered sugar does tend to clump.
I like the flavors I added to it- foregoing the vanilla in favor of chocolate, which works very well. Folks will wonder what the flavor that tastes so good is without really being able to identify it.
I sent these off to a work potluck at which they quickly disappeared. So keep it in mind if you have to get something together for holiday parties at work or school. It makes things a lot easier in this busy baking season. I know right now some of my friends are buried neck deep trying to get multitudes of dozens of cookies made! So delicious!
Don’t forget to scroll on down to see the cupcakes other bloggers are sharing below the recipe print.
And join me Saturday for Soup Swappers- I have a chuckwagon soup with vegetables that is very retro and is like the one they served years ago at the Bonanza restaurant. I have lots of memories eating it- the place was near my home and I had a friend who worked there as a hostess when we were teens, so a lot of food was eaten. And that soup among them. So see you then!
Peppermint Confetti Cupcakes
- 16.25 ounce box Betty Crocker white cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons jimmies or other cookies sprinkles in red, green and white
- 10 ounces Andes peppermint crunch baking chips
- 9 ounces soft unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon mint extract
- 1 tablespoon chocolate extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners sugar
- Additional sprinkles and crushed peppermint candies to decorate tops of cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place cake mix in a mixer bowl and blend with water, eggs and oil until there is a smooth batter.
- Stir together the flour, jimmies and peppermint baking chips; fold gently into batter.
- Scoop batter into 24 muffin cups lined with cupcake papers.
- Bake cupcakes for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely.
- To make buttercream, mix ingredients together in a mixer bowl (make sure you don’t forget to sift the sugar or the frosting will be lumpy!) and beat with a wire whip attachment until smooth.
- Frost cupcakes as desired and sprinkle with extra candies and peppermint.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
It’s National Cupcake Day!
Check out these other recipes…
- Santa Claus Cupcakes by The Redhead Baker
- Horchata Cupcakes w/ Cinnamon Buttercream by The Crumby Kitchen
- Chocolate Gingerbread Cupcakes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Yuletide Eggnog Cupcakes by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Peppermint Confetti Cupcakes by Palatable Pastime