A lightly sweet and smoky version of guacamole
Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Sometime back I had tried a new recipe on line that was for a novel breakfast idea. That recipe had toast topped with avocado, bacon and maple syrup.
Avocado on Toast with Bacon and Maple Syrup
I had never tried that flavor combination before but I was intrigued. I also have this thing about “bucket list” foods that if I have not tried something, I should at least try to eat it once, so I was instantly game to make this recipe. And I am glad I did because the flavor combination was a revelation to me, and one I have made since in this recipe for guacamole, and as well, in another recipe for bacon- avocado pancakes.
Bacon-Avocado Pancakes with Maple Syrup
In this recipe for guacamole, I wanted to try something a little Tex-Mex, and wondered how this combination would work as a snack. I already knew the flavors of the corn tortilla chips would go well having eaten sweeter types of corn bread. And since I had everything on hand I needed: avocados that needed using, bacon, and maple syrup, as well as a bag of chips, thought to give it a try.
It works well for me as I suspected- lightly sweet and smoky,with the creaminess of avocado. It is not overly sweet so don’t worry about that. It just works, and is something I think everyone would enjoy.
Do give it a try!
working with one eye on the pc…and another eye on the Crow.
- 3 ripe Hass avocados, mashed
- 1/ 2 fresh lemon, juice of
- 5-6 ounces bacon, ground, cooked crisp and drained
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Corn tortilla chips (optional)
- Place bacon in a food processor and pulse a few times until coarsely ground.
- Cook bacon until it is browned and rendered (the way breakfast sausage cooks up) -or- alternatively, if using strips, cook them crisp and crumble them finely (I used large chunks of bacon so I ground it).
- Mix cooked bacon with avocado, maple syrup, salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with corn tortilla chips if desired.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
You might also like:
Can’t Find a Recipe? | Help
Recipe Index A-M | Recipe Index N-Z | Home