Marshmallow Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake playfully hides fluffy marshmallow filling inside dark chocolate Bundt cake.
I joined a blogging group called the #BundtBakers recently. Each month we get to bake a Bundt cake along a theme. For my first outing, the theme is beverages, and what with it being chilly weather now, naturally the idea of Hot Chocolate comes up. And who doesn’t like their hot chocolate with a dollop of marshmallow creme or mini marshmallows? Would you like both? (Please!)
When I joined the group I thought it might help further my baking skills. I don’t bake cakes that often. I had a Bundt pan that was about thirty years old. Had? I still have it. But I did go buy a swirled Nordicware pan which is slightly smaller.
The recipe was inspired by a cake on Betty Crocker where I saw the photo with beautifully done drizzles of marshmallow creme and ganache. I did use the ganache, ended up having extra. You might be able to cut this part of the recipe in half. I looked at two cake recipes: one from Carol Bass of Recipezazz and another which was a Twinkie cake from Leite’s Culinaria. I liked the filling on the Twinkie cake. The cake itself had to be cut back due to the smaller size. It required changes in the amounts of ingredients (eggs, cocoa, etc.) and I declined the use of oil in my cake. I was going to use the marshmallow filling from David Leite verbatim, although a smaller amount. That didn’t work out for me and I compensated with additional marshmallow creme and confectioner’s sugar to stiffen it up. If I did this again I would start with about half of the butter and see how that went.
The cake turned out pretty good. I of course can’t eat much of it being diabetic but I did have a taste. Very chocolaty and I count it as a success. Bill liked it and said it reminded him of hot chocolate and said he didn’t think it was too sweet with all the topping, probably because of the bittersweet chocolate. Something like milk chocolate would probably be too much.
It’s a bit big for just two people but I have an adoring posse of fans who always looks for extra food from me. Feed the world, they say. And I do.
Marshmallow Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large pastured organic eggs plus one yolk
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
Marshmallow Creme Filling
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- 6 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
- 2 tablespoons powdered confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
Garnish and Tools:
- 1/2 cup dehydrated marshmallow bits
- 1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate, in curls or finely chopped
- 10 cup Bundt pan
- apple corer
- electric mixer
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Spray a 10 cup Bundt pan with baking release spray, or grease and flour, shaking out excess.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the softened butter, sugar and vanilla into the bowl of a stand mixer and cream together with paddle attachment until smooth, then adding eggs one at a time, continuing to beat until smooth again.
- With the mixer on low, add amounts of buttermilk and sifted flour mix alternatively until it is all incorporated; continue beating a few minutes until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a prepared Bundt pan and bake at 325ºF. for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick can be removed cleanly.
- Cool cake while preparing marshmallow creme and ganache, keeping the cake in the baking pan.
- To prepare the marshmallow filling, place whip attachment in the bowl of your electric mixer and whip the marshmallow creme, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until thick and smooth but not runny. Add more sugar if you need to stiffen it up.
- Take the apple corer and bore holes in about 8 places around the top of the cake, going deep but not all the way through; reserve the cake bits to patch the holes later.
- Place marshmallow filling in a pastry bag or other filling tool and pipe the filling into the holes. You will have extra; use that for garnishing the cake.
- Turn cake out onto a cake plate.
Prepare ganache by putting the chopped chocolate, cream, and the butter in a microwavable bowl and microwave on high for thirty seconds, stir, microwave an additional 15 seconds, and then stir until completely melted and smooth.
- Drizzle remaining topping and ganache over the cake as a drizzle; you may not use it all if you don’t want to; sprinkle with dehydrated mini marshmallows and chocolate curls.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving Bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all of our lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest Board.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers can be found on our homepage.
- Autumn Spiced Pumpkin Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck
- Aztec Hot Chocolate Bundt by I Sugar Coat It!
- Baileys Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Liv for Cake
- Bourbon Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Bourbon Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by I Bake He Shoots
- Carob Hot Chocolate Cake by A Kingdom for A Cake
- Chocolate and Tiffany’s Bundtcake by La mejor manera de hacer…
- Chocolate Chips Orange Bundt Cake by Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Mocha Bundt Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Godiva Hot Chocolate Mini Bundt Cakes by Our Good Life
- Hot Chocolate and Caramel Bundt Cake by I love Bundt Cakes
- Hot (Chocolate) Buttered Rum Bundt by The Crumby Cupcake
- Hot Chocolate Habanero Bundt Cake by Brunch with Joy
- Hot Chocolate Lavender Bundt Cake by Adventures in All Things Food
- Hot Cocoa Almond Bundt Cake by SimplyVeggies
- Irish Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by From Gate to Plate
- Kahlua Drenched Dark Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Baking in Pyjamas
- Marshmallow Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Nutella y Toffee Bundt Cake by Los Chatos Chefs
- Orange Pisco White Chocolate Bundt by Food Lust People Love
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake by Making Miracles
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cake by The Spiced Life
- Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate Bundt by Tartacadabra
- Toffee Chip Hot Chocolate Pound Cake by Magnolia Days
- Venetian Drinking Chocolate Cake by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- White Hot Chocolate Peppermint Bundt by Noshing With The Nolands
- White Hot Chocolate Pound Cake by My Catholic Kitchen
What a great group to join! Your bundt cake looks soooo delicious!! A showstopper! x
Ooey, gooey, yummy, scrumptious, that looks to die for!!
Welcome to the group. You can’t not have hot chocolate without marshmallows, your cake is perfect for this month’s theme. Laura@ Baking in Pyjamas
Thanks so much!
Love that marshmallow cream center!!! YUMMO
It’s styled after David Leite’s Twinkie filling, although I had to tweak the recipe to get it to work in mine. But it’s yum! 🙂
You have impressive self control and this cake is a beauty!
Welcome to the Bundt Bakers group! Your Bundt cake looks spectacular with the marshmallows inside, must taste really, really good 😉 See you again next month! Sunshine from Spain – Lara Tartacadabra
Your cake looks unbelievably moist! How could it not with that creamy marshmallow center. Welcome to the group! Mondo | I bake he shoots
Looks delicious…. Love the Marshmallows.