Fried Green Tomatoes have a wonderful, slightly tart flavor when breaded and fried and are a Southern classic.
Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Fried green tomatoes are a favorite in my family, and have been since I was a kid. Who can resist the scrumptiously tart crispy fruit? Doused with a good amount of Louisiana hot pepper sauce, it is enough to set any soul on fire.
Usually folks wait until the autumn frost threatens to end their garden tomato crops to prepare these. But you can make these all summer long with any unripe tomato, although I prefer a beefsteak variety, and even moreso, an heirloom tomato. Yet while I enjoy under-ripe heirloom tomatoes in this, don’t use the ripe green heirloom varieties because they won’t have the same tang.
It is easy pickings while waiting for your ‘maters to get ripe on the vine.
You may notice in my recipe that I use masa harina, a fine textured corn flour. This is most often used for making corn tortillas, but I think it is perfect for a less gritty texture on your fried green tomatoes. I even use masa harina in my fish fry coating.
I also use make my own seasoned flour, which I keep in the pantry for whenever I need it. I will link a recipe to that when I get it posted.
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 1 unripe green tomato, cored and very thinly sliced (1/8 inch)
- 1-2 large eggs, lightly beaten, whisked with 1-2 tbsp. water
- 1 cup seasoned flour
- 1 cup finely ground corn meal or masa harina
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cajun seasoning to taste
- Hot sauce
- Cooking oil
- Place each of buttermilk, seasoned flour, beaten egg and masa/fine corn meal into four bowls.
- Heat 1-2 inchs of oil in a large skillet to shallow fry the tomatoes.
- Coat tomatoes by first dipping in milk, then into seasoned flour, then into beatne egg, then finally into the corn meal.
- Fry coated tomato slices for 1-2 minutes per side, or until golden, and drain on paper toweling.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
You might also like:
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!