Tender cookies with fresh peppermint flavor and a hint of chocolate!
This recipe I didn’t totally come up with on my own. It’s actually an adaptation of a Toll House recipe for snowballs that would have used chocolate chips and nuts. I had intended to make those- really I did (at least I think), but I came across a package of Andes peppermint crunch baking chips and bought them. Then I had the bright idea of using minty chips in the cookies since I love that. If you can’t find the Andes chips, they are kind of like white chocolate chips with mint flavor and a bit of candy cane crunch. You could do that or if you find peppermint bark (I think Ghiradhelli has some of that) perhaps you could sub that instead. For the chocolate I just used part of a Hershey’s Special Dark candy bar and chopped it up.
Of course, I can’t enjoy too many of these myself since they are made with powdered sugar (me=diabetic). Sometimes I can get sugar-free powdered sugar (it’s sold online) but there will be other cookies for me to enjoy this season. But others can enjoy this and I am sure they will. My family does!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 plus 1/3 cups Andes peppermint crunch baking chips
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- additional powdered sugar (maybe 1/2 cup or so)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cream together butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Mix in flour until incorporated.
- Stir in peppermint chips then fold in chocolate.
- Line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Drop cookies dough by about a tablespoonful in a ball shape onto parchment (you can place them sort of close- they don’t spread that much).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes (all mine took 12 minutes)
- Immediately nudge them close together and sift powdered sugar over them while warm.
- Let cool on the baking sheets for ten minutes then cool fully on a wire rack, sifting more sugar on if you ike.
Makes about 3 1/2 dozen smaller cookies
You might also like: