Simple and delicious French tomato lentil soup
This soup is quite simple to put together and has a rich tomato flavor. It is substantial enough to serve on its own, but I usually enjoy a cup of soup with a sandwich. Very warming for cold winter months!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups tomato juice
- splash hot sauce
- 1 cup dark green French lentils
- Heat oil in a saucepan and saute the carrots, onion, celery, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper, and garlic until the vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are as tender as you like, possible 40-60 minutes more. Adjust liquid if needed by adding more water if it cooks off.
You might also like:
Spicy Black-Eyed Pea Soup