Creamy homestyle potato salad with mustard and egg.
Mustard and Egg Potato Salad
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
I can’t believe Easter is here already, but perhaps part of that is because it comes early this year. We are barely into Spring and it shows, as we are still forecast to have snow flurries tonight. The chilly weather might put the dampers on egg hunts, and that’s not all- the Chinese space station is said to be reentering the atmosphere and burning up, who knows where or when? Keep an eye on the skies.
But successful egg hunts or not, we all have plenty of eggs right now because of the laying habits of the Spring chickens. So for a perfect side dish that is easy to serve to lots of family and friends for an Easter dinner, potato salad is it. This simple potato salad has a flavor that is the best of both worlds: creamy homestyle and tangy mustard.
If you like to keep this on a buffet table, just keep a smaller bowl of it nested in a large bowl that contains ice. That will extend the serving time somewhat, but remember to promptly refrigerate leftovers when everyone is finished. I’d pop it into a ziploc bag and then into an ice chest if the fridge is stuffed.
Mustard and Egg Potato Salad
Yield: 4 pounds potato salad
Note: allow extra inactive time to chill before serving
- 3 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 4 hard cooked eggs, chopped
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water for 12-15 minutes, then drain.
- Dress cooked potatoes with vinegar, salt and pepper while hot.
- Stir together with remaining ingredients and chill before serving.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Easy Easter Side Dishes
Enticingly Easy Sides
- Cauliflower Cheese Casserole by Sunday Supper
- Cheesy Roasted Potatoes and Asparagus by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Oven-Baked Cheesy Potatoes by My Fearless Kitchen
- Mushroom Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Nana’s Corn Pudding by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan by Cooking Chat
- Buttered Rosemary Dinner Rolls by From the Bookshelf
- Skillet Green Beans with Citrus by Gourmet Everyday
- Tallow Roasted Vegetables by Pies and Plots
- Vegan and Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Scrumptious Salad Sides
- Asparagus Salad with Pea Shoots and Pancetta by Caroline’s Cooking
- Easy Spinach Salad with Bacon, Eggs and Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mustard and Egg Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Pickled Beet Salad with Arugula and Feta by Delaware Girl Eats
- Springtime Pasta Salad by Tara’s Multicultural Table
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
I make my potato salad with mustard and eggs too. I love your version!
This reminds me of our family potato salad recipe. And our macaroni salad. They both had hard boiled eggs in them.
This sounds absolutely fabulous! I love egg salad and adding potatoes would only make it better. Plus, I could totally eat this as a main course.
This is my all time favorite potato salad. Love your tip about the ice bowl too.