This is a mouthful of just plain yum.
It is no small secret that I love sandwiches. Perhaps they make the most perfect casual food. Not to mention that sandwiches are easy and fast to make if you are in a hurry to get something to eat on the table. And these meaty, cheesy, chock full of onion jam goodness paninis fit that bill perfectly.
You can make these on a griddle, in a panini pan, in a panini machine or in a toaster oven. But no matter how you toast them, I just know you are going to love them. And as autumn foods go, these are absolutely perfect for game day. Make up a batch for your football crowd and score a touchdown in your own kitchen.
- 4 ounces thinly sliced cooked pastrami (simmered in beer)
- 2 ounces sliced havarti cheese
- 2 slices artisan bread or sourdough bread or tuscan bread
- coarse grain mustard (amount to taste)
- 2 tablespoons caramelized balsamic onion jam
- pat butter
- Simmer pastrami in beer until hot.
- Place drained pastrami on buttered bread with cheese slices, onion jam, and spread with coarse grain mustard to taste.
- Grill or toast sandwich on both sides until golden and crisp.
Serve with pickle spears and chips if you like.
Makes 1 sandwich.