Sriracha Deviled Eggs
by Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
This is my newest favorite way to make deviled eggs. And the surprise is that they are not as spicy as you might expect! But the sriracha gives them a fantastic flavor!
Sriracha, which is made by the Huy Fong company, has had its difficulties with their production facilities of late, with some residents in the town complaining of the spicy smell when it is made. This has put a great deal of pressure on them and their future has been in doubt. Although I did read just the other day that some towns in Texas are reaching out to the maker of the famous sauce with the rooster on the bottle, trying to woo them to relocate there. I hope they do- I mean, we all love sriracha so very much and it would be a shame if they had to stop operations.
But even so, there are a few other brands out there that make this type of chili sauce, although they aren’t in all cases fermented as sriracha is. But that doesn’t matter too terribly much as they really are close in flavor. The thing is to not confuse them with Thai sweet chili sauce, such as May Ploy, which is kind of like a sweet and sour sauce with a touch of fish sauce and pepper flakes. But for the Indonesian Sambal Oelek sauce, it is a lot like sriracha (Huy Fong even makes a version of it with the green lid) although it is not fermented and has a chunkier texture that includes the seeds from the chilies.
I do have a recipe for the sriracha sauce and made some last week and it is still aging in my refrigerator. It is not a fermented type but is an easy method that produces a sauce somewhere in between sriracha and sambal and the flavor actually a little bit brighter and more to my liking. I’ll get that one posted for you very soon as good things shouldn’t be hurried. I know you will love it! And my neighbors didn’t pressure me to stop making it either. 🙂
But back to the eggs, I know you will also love these. They will be a hit at your next summer barbecue, cookout or picnic. No doubt you will be asked to bring them to potlucks and you may want to print out a few extra recipes for those who ask, and don’t forget to tell them to visit Palatable Pastime for other delicious recipes as well, if you can let them in on your culinary secret! 😉
Sriracha Deviled Eggs
- 6 large free-range eggs, hard cooked
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or Creole mustard
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- sweet paprika (garnish)
- 1 fresh red fresno (red jalapeno), thinly sliced into rings (optional garnish)
- Place eggs in a nonreactive saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring water to a rolling boil, then reduce heat and simmer ten minutes.
- Drain hot water from eggs and cool in cold water.
- Peel eggs and halve; remove yolks to a small mixing bowl and mash with a fork.
- <Stir in mayonnaise, sriracha sauce, mustard, and salt and pepper until smooth.
- Place mixture in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Pipe filling into eggs, then garnish with a sprinkle of paprika and slice of red jalapeno if desired.
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!
You might also like: