Seeded Peanut Butter Cookies
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
It’s time for #CrazyIngredientChallenge where two wild ingredients are thrown together and we are challenged to blog a recipe using both.
This month it is peanut butter and flaxseed. I decided to do a seeded crunch cookie. I admit to not using flaxseed a lot of my own volition so needed to find a way to hide it while benefitting from the healthfulness of it.
And certainly you won’t notice them at all inside of the cookies, and combined with the other nuts and seeds have a wonderful crunch.
Peanut butter cookies are always a perennial favorite anyway, being the first cookie I ever baked on my own as a kid, since I was jonesing for some.
I don’t recall ever having cookies with seeds in them although I have had some other kinds with seeds over time. But don’t task me to recall as I don’t really eat very many cookies ordinarily, but bake quite a few and also share them with friends and family.
Last ones I had I think were rolled in sesame seeds, but the rest escapes me. I’ll try to look around and see if I spot a recipe like that.
And while these would be perfect for the lunchbox, beware as you probably shouldn’t send these to school since some kids have peanut allergies. And besides that someone else had to be warned off since although they didn’t have a peanut allergy, they couldn’t have sesame seeds. The seeds in these in general can also bother people with Crohn’s.
Make sure to scroll down below the recipe print and click on the linkup. I don’t expect everything to be cookies, but there should be some other good ideas for peanut butter and flax.
Seeded Peanut Butter Cookies
Yield: 3-3.5 dozen
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup roasted shelled green pumpkin seeds (pepitas), chopped
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons sesame seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppyseed
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream together the butter, shortening and sugars until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix until smooth.
- Stir in the nuts and seeds.
- Make balls out of one tablespoon of the dough and flatten the dough on a cookie sheet using a floured fork in a cross-hatch pattern.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until golden around the edges.
- Cool 5 minutes on the pan, then finish cooling on a wire rack.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Crazy Ingredient Challenge
Flaxseed & Peanut Butter Recipes
Be sure to check out the other Crazy Ingredient Challenge Bloggers this month!
Click on the hop link button to be transported to the other recipes:
If you want to be part of the challenge in the future, email lorisculinarycreations at hotmail dot com.