This is really good and has a slaw-like character. If you have never eaten fennel raw, it has an anise taste but it is very mild. It goes very well with the flavor of the apple. This is not a sweet kind of apple salad, but refreshingly crisp. Goes together quick.
- 1 fennel bulb (small trimmed of stalks, and thinly sliced)
- 1 sweet crisp gala apple, core removed, and thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sliced toasted almonds
- Salt and black pepper
Slice fennel and toss in a bowl with the vinegar. Save some of the fennel leaves if there is any (it looks like dill weed).
Slice apples and as you get handfuls done, toss them in the bowl and ocat with vinegar (keeps the apple light).
Drizzle on the apple juice and oil and season to taste with salt and pepper, and add almonds. Garnish with a little chopped fennel leaf for color.