By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Disclaimer: Thank you to Millican Pecan and Adams Extracts, for providing the prizes for #ChristmasCookies Week free of charge. As always, all opinions are my own.
My recipe of the day for today is for Linzer cookies, Austrian butter cookies sandwiching raspberry jam or preserves. It is my last offering for Christmas Cookies week. The giveaway is still going on so be sure to sign up for that!
Linzer cookies remind me a lot of thumbprint cookies, except they are the sandwich cookie version of that. Besides the usual raspberry jam filling, you can opt to fill these with whatever jam you like.
They are a rolled cookie with a chilled dough. But you might be familiar with that if you have ever made something like sugar cookies. As long as the dough is nicely chilled, it is quite easy to roll and handles well. If it starts to trouble you, the general rule of thumb is to pop it back in to chill down again.
But tender and delicious, these cookies might well become your favorite!
Christmas Cookies Week
As part of Christmas Cookies Week, we will be having a giveaway with prizes offered by the sponsors. Make sure you get signed up for that below if you’d like a chance to win.
Thank you to Ellen of Family Around the Table and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures for hosting #ChristmasCookies Week! And a huge thank you to our sponsors Adams Extract and Millican Pecan Company for supporting the bloggers and events like Christmas Cookies Week.
Check out today’s cookie recipes:
Brown Butter Thumbprint Cookies by Food Above Gold
Buttered Pecan Shortbread Cookies by Cheese Curd In Paradise
Candy Cane Whoopie Pies by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Cherry Pecan Shortbread Rounds by Family Around the Table
Chocolate Cherry Cookies by Sweet Beginnings
Chocolate-Dipped Christmas Butter Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
Christmas Crinkle Cookies by Blogghetti
Christmas Pecan Bar Cookies by Intelligent Domestications
Cinnamon Roll Blondies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Dark Chocolate Dipped Citrus Spice Shortbread by The Spiffy Cookie
Easy Italian Pizzelles by Frugal & Fit
Ginger Spice Cookies by Red Cottage Chronicles
Kahlua Hot Chocolate Cookies by Books n’ Cooks
Linzer Cookies by Palatable Pastime (You are Here!)
Neiman Marcus Cookie Recipe by Everyday Eileen
Pecan Pie Cookies by Daily Dish Recipes
Pecan Pie Cut Out Cookies by Love and Confections
Other Seasonal Desserts You Might Like:
Prize 1 – Millican Pecan Tower of Treats Gift Tins
Originally founded as the West Texas Pecan Nursery in the late 1800’s, Millican Pecan is now in 5th generation ownership. Located in San Saba, TX, the family continues the tradition of pecan farming while also branching the business into the online world. The family also enjoys educating people about pecans. One winner will receive The Tower of Treats Gift Tins. The tower includes 3 decorative gift tins stacked on top of each other. The bottom tin includes our 2 lb. Chocolate Pecan Sampler, the middle tin is our Flavored Pecan Sampler and the top tin is a 8 oz. tin of Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles). An $80 value.
Prize 2 – Adams Extract Prize Pack
Adams traces its beginnings back to Battle Creek, Michigan, when John A. Adams began making and selling his Green Plant Sarsaparilla extract, Adamur, in 1888. In 1905, he moved his family to Beeville, TX. At the time, most vanilla sold to pharmacies and was often labeled “Do not bake or freeze.” John A. Adams’ wife yearned for a flavoring that wouldn’t bake or freeze out. He announced that he could produce a better vanilla than the one his wife was currently using. Working with just $6.71 worth of materials on top of an old icebox, John A. Adams discovered the formula he wanted. To test this product, his wife whipped up a cake for the family to try. “John, this is the BEST flavoring I have ever used,” she announced. “Well, that’s old man Adams BEST,” he responded.
- Wilton linzer cookie cutter
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- raspberry jam as needed
- powdered sugar as needed
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add egg yolk and extracts, mixing well.
- Add all purpose flour, almond flour and salt and form into a dough.
- Divide dough into two sections, pat into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill or freeze for a half hour or so until firm and very cold.
- Roll out half the dough on parchment and cut with a round cutter and return to the fridge to chill again for another 30 minutes.
- Roll out the remaining dough and do the top sections with the hole in the cutter, or alternatively use a regular cutter and cut out holes in the top with a very small cutter or a knife. I used a Wilton linzer cookie cutter.
- Chill these as well for another thirty minutes.
- Bake after they have chilled for 8-10 minutes or until firm and the edges just begin to color. They shouldn't become very brown.
- Cool on the pans 5 minutes, then finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Sift powdered sugar over the top section.
- Invert the bottom section so the bottom of that faces up (it seats the cookies better) and dab some jam on it.
- Place the top section over that and press down lightly without messing up the sugar.
- Store flat between wax paper in an airtight container.
Two (2) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #ChristmasCookies bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway.
Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway and contest is open only to US residents. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #ChristmasCookies posts or entry. Thank you to our sponsors Millican Pecan Company, and Adams Extracts and Flavorings for providing prizes.