By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Mangonada is my recipe of the day with the blogging group Sunday Funday. Each week bloggers in the group get together to post a recipe on a chosen topic. This week we are looking at recipes that use mango.
Mangonada combines sorbet with spicy, sweet and sour ingredients for a delicious take on a smoothie or fruit shake. Sometimes called chamango or chamoyada because of the addition of the chamoy sauce.
La Michoacana Paleta Shops
We first discovered these tasty treats dropping by a paleta shop near a local tienda where we buy Latin groceries. La Michoacana is a casual name for the type of Mexican ice cream shops that serve paletas, or frozen dessert treats made with a lot of fruit.
What is a Mangonada?
In the case of the mangonada, the paleta is made using lots of mangos. You can find these with sorbet or sometimes as a shaved ice and there will be bites of fresh mango as well. It is at once part smoothie, part fruit shake.
How To Make a Mangonada
But this is not simply whizzed in a blender. The cup is lined with a sweet and sour chamoy sauce the way one might line a cup with chocolate syrup. But in this case it is tangy and fruity like a sweet-tart or Jolly Rancher.
Then the sorbet is dropped in, and layered with lime juice and more chamoy sauce. Finally the top is given a sprinkle of Tajin spicy salt, adorned with fresh mango chunks, and crowned with a straw wrapped in tamarind fruit leather or other sweet and tart candy. It is a pure delight.
You can find all the things you need to make this (except maybe the sorbet) at a tienda market or perhaps at Amazon online.
- Aam Panna with Jaggery (Raw Green Mango Summer Drink) by Cook with Renu
- Dragonfruit, Mango, Jicama, & Corn Salad Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Steaks with Mango Chimichurri by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Homemade Aam Roti/Mango Papad by Sneha’s Recipe
- Mango Chicken by Making Miracles
- Mango Falooda by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Mangonada – Mexican Mango Sorbet Smoothie by Palatable Pastime
- Mango Margarita by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Spicy Mango Salsa by Food Lust People Love
- Stir-Fry Mango Ginger Chicken by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- White Chocolate Mango Mascarpone Mille Crepe Cake by Pandemonium Noshery
You Might Also Like:
First, Mango Snacking Cake combines fresh mango, creme of coconut and rum to create a fresh, fruity and moist cake. You will love this one!
Next, Strawberry Mango Jam shows how simple strawberries and tropical mango complement each other in a flavorful summer jam. And it is perfect on biscuits!
Then Sweet and spicy mango habanero glaze on grilled Mahi. With a few simple ingredients makes the perfect light summer supper.
And 6-Ingredient Mango-Coconut Bundt cake makes easy work of dessert. With a minimum of pantry ingredients while still being lush with tropical flavor.
Finally, perfectly exotic and creamy frozen yogurt made at home. With the tempting flavor of mango and cardamom.
- 14 ounces Hagen Daz mango sorbet (softened)
- 2-3 tablespoons chamoy sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Tajin spicy salt
- 1 tamarind candy-wrapped straw
- Add half the chamoy sauce to a large chilled glass, swirling around the sides.
- Add sorbet, layering with additional chamoy sauce and lime juice.
- Sprinkle the top with Tajin spice and insert candy straw (nibble the candy off the straw as you eat).
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which offer sources for ingredients and equipment, if needed. Clicking on them doesn’t cost you anything but helps pay the electric bill and keep the blog lights on should you purchase anything during your visit! Thanks for your support.