Peach Crumble Bars
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
This month for #FoodieExtravaganza the topic is Peaches and my blogging friends and I are all over it. For my selection I decided to do Peach Crumble Bars which are a shortbread cookie topped with jam and streusel and almonds.
This was inspired by some crumble bars by Ina Garten but I think hers use raspberry jam and granola cereal. Having no granola that suited I made my own topping and also added a touch of cinnamon to the cookies to bring out the flavor of the peach preserves. But overall they are still quite similar.
These are super simple to make and really do come out of the pan quite easily if you let them cool, so no need to line with parchment or whatever.
And outside of that I don’t have a lot to say about them- no history of modern cookies or remembrances of days past. I don’t think my mom ever made anything similar to this except maybe date bars. But these are a bit more like cookie bars than date bars are.
Join me tomorrow for even more cookies as I do my version of a cookie my mom did actually make for me as a kid: Hermits. The theme for #FilltheCookieJar is Grandma’s cookies but I never actually got any recipes from mine. From early on, I remember the Hermits many times. She knew I liked them. And I still do!
Peach Crumble Bars
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup peach preserves
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together butter and sugar in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle; add vanilla and run until it mixes in.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, salt and cinnamon; add flour mix gradually to mixer while running it on low, until it is crumbly.
- Take out one cup of this dough and set aside; pat the rest into a square baking pan, pressing it about an inch up the sides to make an edge.
- Evenly spread the preserves over this.
- Take the one cup of reserved dough and mix it with the oats, brown sugar and honey until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the jam, then sprinkle the almonds over the crumbs and pat down lightly.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until nicely browned on top.
- Cool completely in pan, then cut into nine squares.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
- Halloumi Freekeh Peach Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Honey Peach Ice Cream by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Mini Peaches and Cream French Toast Casserole by Cookaholic Wife
- Peach and Orange Smoothie by Sneha’s Recipe
- Peach BBQ Sauce by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Peach Crumble Bars by Palatable Pastime
- Peach Panna Cotta by Caroline’s Cooking
- Peach Sorbet by Hardly A Goddess
- Peach Tomato Salad with Herb Vinaigrette by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!