Jasmine and Spruce Tip Tea
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
My recipe of the day is for National Iced Tea month as some blogging friends and I are sharing delicious and refreshing recipes for creative iced tea.
Spruce Tips are New to Me
My recipe is for jasmine and spruce tip tea. This is the first year I have tried using organic spruce tips in food after spotting them at Jungle Jim’s market. The tips are the soft tender new growth from spruce trees that are collected during the spring and the growing season.
I suspect it is important and a no-brainer to use tips that are indeed organic and have not been sprayed with anything, should you decide to collect your own. I know after my exploration into these, I will be planting a Spruce tree this year, so in years to come I will have plenty of my own supply, not to mention contributing to the reforestation of my local community.
Not Just Delicious But Natural Beauty
I had planted a spruce when we lived in Waynesville but have long since moved- it grew to a very nice size. I hadn’t known anything about using spruce tips then- I wish I had! My enjoyment of it then was mostly for holiday lights during the Christmas season.
Nice Herbal, Woodsy Flavor
The spruce tips offer a nice herbal, mildly woodsy flavor to the tea that pairs perfectly with the jasmine. It doesn’t really taste like a Christmas tree- but it is hard to describe. The jasmine contributes to that difficulty, I suppose. But it does have those faint aromas. I loved it.
Check out these other refreshing Iced Tea recipes for National Iced Tea Month:
- Cars Land Mater’s Tulsa Tea from Simply Inspired Meals
- Chamomile Arnold Palmer from The Beard and The Baker
- Cucumber Mint Iced Tea from Our Good Life
- Hibiscus Margarita from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Jasmine and Spruce Tip Tea from Palatable Pastime
- Magical Color-Changing Iced Tisane from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Minty Blueberry Iced Tea from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sparkling Hibiscus Iced Tea from Blogghetti
- Sparkling Peach Iced Tea from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sparkling Pomegranate White Tea from Home Sweet Homestead
- Sweet Tea Air Fryer Wings from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
You Might Also Like:
Jasmine and Spruce Tip Tea
- 2 cups organic spruce tips
- 1 cup sugar or sweetener to taste
- 6 individual jasmine green tea bags
- Rinse spruce tips and add to 2 cups water; bring to a boil then remove from heat and steep ten minutes.
- Strain spruce tips from infusion and discard.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil and add tea bags; remove from heat and steep ten minutes.
- Add tea and spruce infusion to a pitcher and sweeten with one cup sugar (or whatever type and amount of sweetener you prefer).
- Top up with cold filtered water to 64 ounces.
- Serve over ice.