Ramen grilled cheese breaks the traditional sandwich out of the bread box with layers of gooey cheese nestled between crispy ramen noodles.
Ramen Grilled Cheese
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Ramen grilled cheese is my recipe of the day. This is a recipe concept which I first published a few years ago. I had heard about ramen grilled cheese and wanted to give it a try.
That version,which is now archived, included meatballs and marinara sauce in between. It tasted good, but was a little large as sandwiches go to suit me.
I also didn’t feel it really captured the soul of a grilled cheese.
I have now updated that recipe (you can grab the link to the old one at the bottom of the page).
This one of much thinner with fewer ingredients to distract. It’s also easier to make.
The result is crisp, keeps in line with a grilled cheese, and reminds me a bit of a cross between pan fried noodles and macaroni and cheese.
I used American cheese because it’s traditional but use what you like. The finely grated Parm will be preferred to act as a binder.
Out of the two sandwiches, this one is the keeper for me. I hope you enjoy it as well. It certainly is fun and will help you think outside the box when it comes to cooking.
You Might Also Like:
Ramen Grilled Cheese
- 3 ounce package instant ramen noodles any flavor
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan powder
- 2 slices American cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Save noodle seasoning packet for another use.
- Cook the ramen in half cup water or until they soften; drain.
- Toss noodles with Parmesan. (powdered works best here).
- Place noodles on a piece of nonstick foil and shape into a rectangle, pressing noodles down.
- Cut chilled noodles into two pieces and build a sandwich with cheese between.
- Fold foil up to make a packet, keeping noodles compressed, and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Spread the outside of the chilled ramen sandwich with butter and griddle until golden. Do not flip excessively (the browned noodles crisp up and help hold it together).
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!
The earlier version of ramen grilled cheese has been archived. You may view a cached version of it here.