Grilled Guacamole and Cheese
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Not very long ago I was hungry for a nice quesadilla for lunch since I had a perfectly ripened avocado on hand plus some quesadilla cheese as well, but not everything goes as planned since I was out of flour tortillas and didn’t feel like running for them or taking the time to make those from scratch.
So instead I reached for my sourdough, which I like to keep fresh in the fridge, as I often have it for breakfast with a poached egg and maybe a slice of goetta or bacon.
I mashed up the avocado with a little lime juice, salt and a pinch of cumin, which is the most basic of guacamole for me, leaving out any onion or tomato since I wanted to keep it simple.
This cooks up really fast. I think it would be great with a cumin spiked tomato soup maybe with a splash of ghost pepper sauce if you are a crazy chilehead like I am.
And do you see those bits of crunchy cheese? I made some extra on purpose to garnish the sandwich as well as nibble on. All you have to do is drop some cheese onto the griddle and it crisps up. It’s almost as good as the crispy edges of pepperoni on perfectly made pizza. Or the yummy bits of bacon that fall off a BLT. It’s the little things in life.
I have back to back posts going up today so make sure to check. I have roasted up some asparagus with speck ham and a creamy horseradish sauce. That is one easy side dish that would be perfect for steak or roast beef and a potato. Asparagus is at great prices right now. I wish it would stay that way but in a few short weeks, spring veggies will be on the way out. Enjoy it while you can!
I also have some more RSC recipes going up soon, as well as Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Praline sauce for Pecan Day and some slice and bake chocolate chip cookies for Sunday Supper. Make sure to check back in and see what’s up.
Grilled Guacamole with Cheese
- 2 slices large artisan sourdough bread
- 1/4 cup guacamole
- 1/4 cup shredded white quesadilla cheese (queso blanco)
- 1-2 tablespoons soft butter
- Spread one side of bread with soft butter and fill with guacamole and cheese.
- Griddle over medium heat until golden and melty, turning once.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
National Grilled Cheese Day
- Bacon Brie Paninis by Bear & Bug Eats
- Butter Poached Lobster and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Cajun Tuna Grilled Cheese by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Cheese and Pepper Sandwiches by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Grilled Guacamole and Cheese by Palatable Pastime
- Mexican Molletes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Open-Faced Grilled Caprese by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Pear and Taleggio Grilled Cheese by The Redhead Baker
- Three Cheese Bacon and Jalapeno Grilled Cheese by Daily Dish Recipes