Sugarplum Muffins are filled with holiday spice, a hint of brandy, and a dollop of fruity jam for a Christmas themed breakfast treat.
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Jump to Recipe
Sugarplum Muffins is my recipe of the day with the blogging group Muffin Monday. We post on the last Monday of the month with our newest and best muffin recipes.
This month, just in time for the holidays, I want to share my recipe for Sugarplum Muffins with you. Not only are these lightly spiced with cinnamon and have a hint of brandy flavor. But the best part is the beautiful plum jam filling that adds a fruity surprise bite.
- Banana Nutella Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cranberry Orange Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Dutch Apple Pie Muffins from Making Miracles
- Olive Oil Gingerbread Muffins from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Sourdough Gingerbread Muffins from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Sugarplum Muffins from Palatable Pastime (You are Here!)
- Winter Crunch Grape Muffins from Food Lust People Love
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all of our lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday can be found on our home page.
You Might Also Like:
First, fruitcake muffins are lightly spiced, packed full of candied fruit and nuts, perfect for an on-the-go holiday breakfast or tea-time treat.
Next, Marzipan Stollen is a festive and traditional German holiday fruit and nut bread filled with delicious almond paste.
Persimmon Quick Bread
Then, Persimmon Quick Bread combines Fuyu persimmons, nuts, raisins and brandy in a spicy quick bread loaf perfect for the autumn baking season.
Mandarin Orange Muffins
Or perhaps Mandarin orange muffins have wonderful orange citrus flavor and are topped with crystal sugar and a tangy orange glaze.
Finally, Muffins chock full of gingerbread spice for the holidays.
- muffin tins
- paper cupcake liners
- 2 tablespoons plum jam melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cooled melted butter
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup plum preserves or jam
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix together the wet and dry ingredients for the batter, then combine and stir until just mixed.
- Fill the cups in a greased or paper liners in a muffin tin (20-24 count or 2 pans) half way, and top with one teaspoon of jam on each.
- Cover the jam with remaining batter and sprinkle with coarse sugars.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed without wet batter clinging to it.
- Cool in pan ten minutes then turn out and finish cooling on a wire rack.
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!
What a fun, seasonal muffin.
I love their crunchy, shiny tops, Sue, hiding the treat below!
They look wonderful !! Can something be substituted for the brandy ?
Another extract, but just use 1 teaspoon.
These look delicious. And you just reminded me that I had put sugarplums on my list of to-do LAST Christmas. I might just get around to it this year, but I’ll start with your muffins. Thanks for the inspiration.
These are less sugarplum-ish than sugarplums made with dried fruit. I have made those before and put them on puff pastry stars like the center of a flower.
Do you have a recipe for the dried fruit sugarplums and the puff pastry stars ?
Yes I do! https://palatablepastime.com/2019/12/04/sugarplum-pinwheels-finnish-joulutorttu/amp/
Thank you so much for answering my questions !! I hope to try both the muffins and the stars this Christmas !!
I hope you like them!
I love the jam in the muffin batter and in the middle of the muffins! They are adorable.
I love jam surprises – this sounds like the perfect Christmasey treat!
This sugar plum muffins looks yum. I need to try it. perfect treat for holidays.