Two Tomato Gratin is an excellent way to serve up a glut of end of season tomatoes you may have from the garden all at once!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
- 2 large green tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 large firm red tomatoes, thinly sliced (I like heirlooms for this)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 slices whole wheat bread (very thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Set Provolone and Parmesan cheeses aside and reserve for later.
In an 8×8 inch square baking dish, make alternate layers of red and green tomatoes with onion, garlic slices, basil, and toasted rectangles of bread, and placing shredded mozzarella on the first layer.
Drizzle each layer with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Uncover dish and place Provolone and Parmesan cheeses on top.
Return to oven and bake for 25-30 minutes more or until cheese is golden.
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!
You might also like:
Fall Into Flavor | Sizzling Soups
Recipe Index A-M | Recipe Index N-Z | Home