Delicious salad with gorgonzola cheese, walnuts, grapes, and citrus basil vinaigrette!
One of the places we like to go out for pizza in the greater Dayton-Cincinnati area for the past few years has been Dewey’s pizza, which have locations down in Cincinnati as well as near UD in Dayton. I also notice them now in other cities, such as St. Louis.
They are a slightly more upscale restaurant, serving high quality pizza as well as premium salad and wine. This is my take on one of their salads, which I adore and really wasn’t very hard to figure out. Since the time I have first had this salad, I have seen lots of similar salads which have some combination of nuts and fruit. The gorgonzola really sets this one apart however, and is well suited to accompany many types of food besides just pizza. I have had similar salads in French restaurants specializing in fine dining, and perhaps not even as good as this one.
So from movie night to special occasion, you can be certain this salad fits the bill. I do hope you enjoy, and I hope to get some of Dewey’s pizza recipe clones up later on.
Just like Dewey’s Candied Walnut and Grape Salad
by Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
- 5 cups mixed baby greens or mesclun lettuce
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 3-1/2 oz. crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup candied walnuts
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh basil
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Arrange greens on a salad plate, covered loosely with grapes, walnuts, and gorgonzola.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients until dressing emulsifies.
- Drizzle over salad before serving.
Yield: 4 servings
You might also like: