Chernika Oladi – Russian Blueberry Pancakes are made with kefir, which is similar to a thin yogurt and adds a delightful tanginess.
Chernika Oladi – Russian Blueberry Pancakes
by Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
These delightfully light and tangy pancakes are the Russian equivalent of blueberry buttermilk pancakes, which people in all the western countries know and love. Made with kefir, they are probiotic rich and healthy as well.
SImple to make, you can have these on your breakfast table in less than half an hour.
I hope you enjoy!
Chernika Oladi - Russian Blueberry Pancakes
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain lowfat kefir
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the eggs, kefir and melted butter.
- Slowly add the flour mix to the wet mix, and stir until blended.
- Toss the last tablespoon of flour with the blueberries to coat them, and fold into the batter.
- Griddle by 1/4 cupfuls of batter on both sides until golden.
- Serve with butter and syrup or preserves.
Makes 10-12 pancakes
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!
You might also like:
Can’t Find a Recipe? | Help
Recipe Index A-M | Recipe Index N-Z | Home
All material © Sue Lau and Palatable Pastime
These of course look great, but can you use something else instead of kefir? like buttermilk or sour cream ?
You could thin Greek yogurt until it is the consistency of kefir, which is drinkable/pourable, like thick buttermilk. The flavor is a bit different from sour cream and buttermilk though, but not by a whole lot.
I really enjoyed these tasty pancakes. They were awesome, thick, fluffy and full of wild blueberries. I used Greek yogurt instead of kefir. The pancakes were quick and easy to make with terrific results. Made for What’s on Your Menu 2014.