Bavarian Sugared Almonds are a festival favorite made with sugar coated nuts with a hint of spice, easily baked in the oven.
Bavarian Sugared Almonds
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
This week’s theme for Sunday Supper is nostalgic summer recipes. I chose to do the Bavarian Sugared Almonds because they remind me of old fashioned food fairs and summer festivals, such as state and county fairs. These can also be done with pecans or any kind of nuts really.
Simple to do, while they are traditionally made with sugar in a heated pan over flame, using an egg to bind the sugars to the nut allow these to be made in the oven with an occasional stir.
You can adjust the spices as you like- I like a milder cinnamon flavor and I think the touch of nutmeg offers a hint of buttery flavor. These are also not too sweet like some I have tried. They make a great snack to keep around, or as I did- take them along as an optional dessert on a picnic.
I do hope you enjoy and browse the other Sunday Supper recipes for the week as there seem to be lots of good ones!
Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there! Till next time-
- 1 pound whole shelled raw almonds
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 275ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with silpat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white until foamy, then stir in the vanilla.
- Add the almonds and stir to coat.
- In another bowl, stir together the sugars, salt and spices.
- Gradually stir sugar mixture into wet almonds until all the sugar is taken up.
- Spread almonds on the silpat in a single layer.
- Bake for 75 minutes, stirring after every 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the pan, then store in an airtight container until needed.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Nostalgic Summer Recipes
Hosted by Coleen of The Redhead Baker
- Blueberry Lavender Lemonade by Beauty and the Beets
- Natural Pink Pineapple Lemonade by Food Lust People Love
- Rhubarb Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic Shrimp Roll Sliders by Crazed Mom
- How to Cook Hot Dogs by Life Tastes Good
- Wiener Schnitzel by Caroline’s Cooking
- Baked Beans by Magnolia Days
- Creamy Ranch Potato Salad by Dash of Evans
- Southern Fried Squash by Peaceful Cooking
- Spätzlesalat (German Spaetzle Pasta Salad) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Summer’s Best Tomato Cucumber Salad by Delaware Girl Eats
- Ambrosia Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Bavarian Almonds by Palatable Pastime
- Blueberry Cobbler by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Boardwalk Funnel Cake by The Redhead Baker
- Buttermilk Pound Cake by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- DIY Drumsticks by A Mind Full Mom
- Double Corn Buttermilk Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Frosted Grapes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Banana Pudding by Cooking with Carlee
- Homemade Drumsticks by Pies and Plots
- Japanese Melon Ice Cream by Ninja Baker
- Lemonade Pie with Sugar Cone Crust by Dizzy, Busy and Hungry
- Poke Cake by Our Good Life
- Maple Sugar Candy by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Rhubarb Cake by Monica’s Table
- Nana’s No-Bake Cheesecake Squares by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Pudding Pops by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Root Beer Float Ice Cream Sandwiches by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sherbet Float by Cookin’ Mimi
- Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Jello Pie by Tramplingrose
- Toasted Coconut Puppy Chow by Helpful Homemade
- Watergate Salad by Flavor Mosaic