French Hot Chocolate- Le Chocolate Chaud
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Chocolate. It’s heaven. But in a cup? Welcome to liquid sin.
This is the finest of my hot cocoa recipes, and I knew right away when I signed up to do #Choctoberfest I wanted it to be my opening salvo. But what’s so special about hot chocolate? Not much maybe until it is infused dark chocolate with milk and cream, done in the French style. Le chocolate chaud, which means, when literally translated, “the hot chocolate”. And you will notice that it doesn’t say anything about cocoa.
I’ve been enjoying these regularly with crafted chocolate from a local chocolatier, down at Findlay market (Maverick Chocolate) where I also discovered a bistro pot, which is a kind of French press that is perfect for making chocolate chaud, mocha, or pressed coffee. And to use that, you put the chocolate squares in the bottom, top up with hot milk (or water as is sometimes used) and start plunging until the immersion is complete. You can also do that with this recipe, although I have left it to the pan on top of the stove, since I realize not everyone has a French press.
What I have discovered about these divine cups of sin is the very rich, smooth and velvety character that is lacking in your typical hot chocolate. The texture is, quite honestly, totally different. It is very definitely rich, and not something I would have every day- but for a special occasion such as a birthday, anniversary, or a holiday such as Christmas, this beverage is without equal.
And wow! #Choctoberfest? Make sure you click on the link before to enter the fabulous giveaway. You can’t win it if you’re not in it.😀
I’ll be back tomorrow for #BreadBakers with my recipe for Sauerkraut-Nut bread. Are you intrigued yet? It’s a family favorite! And then on Wednesday I’ll be back with more #Choctoberfest with an eerie recipe for Halloween cookies (with chocolate of course!) And I know I missed two recipes over the weekend (my Apple Molasses and tortilla cookies) I got behind on the molasses but will get that up later. I had a #photofail on the tortilla cookies and due to time constraints probably won’t be doing a redux and getting that up anytime soon. I’ll probably be moving soon so need to work down my pantry rather than adding to it. You know how it is. It shouldn’t be a big deal. If you really need a similar recipe, message me and I can try to get you some sort of link from another blogger of something similar.
French Hot Chocolate
- 12 fluid ounces whole milk
- 4 fluid ounces heavy cream
- 5.25 ounces Dark (60% Cacao) Chocolate squares
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- whipped cream
- Whisk together the milk, cream, granulated sugar and vanilla until steaming over low heat.
- Add chocolate squares, stirring constantly, until all chocolate has been added and melted, but be careful not to boil or scorch.
- Serve topped with whipped cream.
- Can also make in a Bistro Pot, adding chocolate to the bottom, and pouring sweetened hot milk over the top, and plunging until the chocolate is melted and milk is frothy.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Welcome to the first day of #Choctoberfest 2016!
#Choctoberfest is a virtual event put together by The PinterTest Kitchen. Bloggers from around the world will be posting their favorite chocolate recipes, and you’ll get a chance to win some awesome prizes.
Thank you to the sponsors who make #Choctoberfest possible! This year, Imperial Sugar is back as our Gold Sponsor. They have been a trusted name in kitchens since 1843, and their website is home to thousands of sweet recipes tested in the Imperial Sugar Kitchen. You can find Imperial Sugar on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Youtube, or join their Sweet Community so you can share your own recipes, save recipes to a virtual inbox, print Imperial Sugar coupons, and connect with other sugar lovers.
Imperial Sugar and our silver sponsors have banded together to offer a huge #Choctoberfest prize pack, which you can enter to win below! One lucky winner will be chosen at random to receive the following:
- From our Gold Sponsor Imperial Sugar: 1 case of granulated sugar (40 pounds), 1 case of brown sugar (24 pounds), 1 case of dark brown sugar (24 pounds), 1 case of powdered sugar (24 pounds bags), and an Imperial Sugar red ruffle apron
- From our Silver Sponsor Nature Nate’s: 32 oz. Raw & Unfiltered Honey bottle, Honey Syrup, Honey Packets, a Nature Nate’s T-shirt, various kitchen supplies, and $50 Amazon gift card
- From our Silver Sponsor Barlean’s:16 oz Barlean’s Butter-Flavored Coconut Oil, 9.52 oz canister of Chocolate Silk Greens, and 8oz bottle of Essential Women Omega-Swirl Chocolate Mint
- From our Silver Sponsor Caveman Coffee: 1 Bag of Coffee (you choice of blacklisted or sabertooth), 1 coconut MCT oil, and 1 Cacao Butter
- From #Choctoberfest blog hosts The PinterTest Kitchen: 1 specialty chocolate gift pack (your choice of dark or milk chocolate), 1 tin (14 ounces) drinking chocolate, and Divine’s Fair Trade Gift Set
Enter now to win our #Choctoberfest 2016 prize pack! We’ll be picking a winner at random winner on Saturday, Oct. 15, so enter by Friday to make sure your name is in the drawing:
click here——->>>>A Rafflecopter Giveaway<<<<—–click here
Here’s a list of all of the bloggers participating in #Choctoberfest 2016. Visit any of their blogs to get delicious chocolate recipes throughout the week:
The PinterTest Kitchen • 2 Cookin’ Mamas • A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures • addicted 2 recipes • Amy’s Cooking Adventures • An Affair From The Heart • Balancing Motherhood • Body Rebooted • Bottom Left of the Mitten • By the Pounds • Canning and Cooking at Home • Coconut & Lime • Cook with 5 Kids • Cook’s Hideout • Cookaholic Wife • Cooking with Carlee • CopyKat Recipes • Cricket’s Confections • Crumbs in my Mustachio • Elisabeth Jean • Fairyburger • Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice • Family Around the Table • Fantastical Sharing of Recipes • Feed Your Soul Too • Feeding Big • Frankly Entertaining • Full Belly Sisters • Get the Good Stuff • Grumpy’s Honeybunch • Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks • Hostess At Heart • Ink and Sugar • Jane’s Adventures in Dinner • Join Us, Pull Up a Chair • Karen’s Kitchen Adventures • Kate’s Recipe Box • Kudos Kitchen by Renee • Kylee Cooks • Letz Eat • Life Currents • Life on Food • Making Miracles • Monica’s Table • Moore or Less Cooking Food Blog • My Catholic Kitchen • My Gluten Free Miami • Our Good Life • Palatable Pastime • Restless Chipotle • Seduction in The Kitchen • Sew You Think You Can Cook • Simple Food 365 • Southern With A Twist • Sumptuous Spoonfuls • Take Two Tapas • Tampa Cake Girl • Teaspoon of Goodness • That Recipe • The Crumby Cupcake • The Flavourista • The Food Hunter’s Guide To Cuisine • The Freshman Cook • The Pajama Chef • The Redhead Baker • The Spiffy Cookie • Tramplingrose • Zesty South Indian Kitchen
What a fabulous list of bloggers! Check them out throughout the week and don’t forget to follow our sponsors and bloggers using the Rafflecopter giveaway widget above for your chance to win our sweet prize pack.
Click on the hop link button to be transported to the other recipes:
You might also like: