Broccoli and Cheese Soup
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
This week for Sunday Supper the theme is all about hot lunches for Back to School.
I decided to post my recipe for Broccoli and Cheese soup- which has been a favorite of mine since I worked as a teenager at the Whole Loaf deli in downtown St. Louis many many years ago (1970’s). It was always popular with the customers who got it with their deli sandwiches.
I do think mine is just as good as theirs (probably better).
The tip in making this is to make sure when you stir the cheese in, the soup is off the heat, otherwise the heat makes the cheese break down into something horrible and stringy. And as you can see, the soup is very smooth and velvety, everything you could want for in this type of soup.
Tomorrow starts up a week of Farmer’s Marker recipes which I am posting with a recipe blogging group. I always have tons of these kinds of recipes laying around, especially since I do enjoy visiting the markets. My first recipe will be for Strawberry Mango jam. I love making jam- and have been doing it since the 1980’s when I bought myself a canning pot. That first summer I made so many things I was giving jar after jar of preserves and whatnot away like a canning and gifting fool. Not that I mind- I really enjoy giving food gifts, and when guests come, I cook everything in sight.
You’d think I want to feed the world. You might be right!
Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- salt (to taste)
- white pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups chopped broccoli, cooked crisp-tender, and kept warm
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion and celery in butter until soft.
- Stir in the flour, then add the broth and milk, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil and boil one minute until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and add cheese, stirring until it melts.
- Stir in cooked broccoli.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Sunday Supper Hot Lunch Ideas
Hearty Hot Lunches
- Beef Stroganoff by The Crumby Kitchen
- Cheesy Chicken Mac by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lasagna Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Lunch Box Walking Tacos by Soulfully Made
- Potato Spinach Gnocchi by Caroline’s Cooking
- Raisin Bread Chicken Grilled Cheese by Pies and Plots
- Tuna Quesadillas by Basic N Delicious
Soups and Stews
- 5 Bean Chili by My Blissful Mess
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Kielbasa Rice Bowl by The Freshman Cook
- Make It and Take It Burrito Bowl by Our Good Life
- One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese by Sunday Supper Movement
- Paleo Mason Jar Ramen by Bites Of Wellness
- Turmeric Cauliflower Soup by Cricket’s Confections
- Vegetable Beef Soup with Roasted Garlic by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.