Hen of the Woods Soup is a delightful and brothy Asian-style vegetarian soup featuring flavorful Maitake mushrooms.
This brothy and lightly spicy Asian inspired soup uses Maitake mushrooms which have an exquisite aroma and earthy deep mushroom flavor. Maitakes are often called “Hen of the Woods” and although common in autumn, can also be found in the springtime as well.
- 3 1/2 ounces fresh Maitake mushrooms, chopped
- 3 1/2 ounces small white button mushrooms, quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 fresh red Thai chile pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon shoyu, tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 1/2 ounces extra-firm tofu cubes
- 1/2 cup cooked long grain rice
- 2 1/2 ounces organic baby spinach leaves, stems removed, shredded or chopped
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
Saute the mushrooms, chopped onion, and sliced chile pepper in the peanut oil until soft.
Stir in the chicken broth, soy sauce, and sesame oil and bring to a boil.
Add tofu cubes and rice and cook a couple minutes to heat through.
Stir in the spinach and scallion, until the spinach wilts, then serve.
Time: 25 minutes
Join my recipe group on Facebook for more recipes from blogger friends around the world!