Roasted caramelized carrots with a hint of sweetness and rosemary! So easy!
This is a really simple and delicious way to serve carrots. I love roasted vegetables! They are so very healthy.
As part of the technique in this recipe I ask that the carrots be prepped as a roll cut or oblique cut (whichever you like to call it). The reason I use it is that it increases the surface area on the carrots to provide more space to caramelize and glaze. I like it in stir-fries as well- it does seem to help with the cooking but making the time required a bit shorter. It also seems to even up, for the most part, the differences in size in uneven vegetables like carrots.
I have heard it said that the roll-cut is a difficult knife skill to master. This is really a lot of nonsense because it is quite easy. And here I will describe it for you. Just ignore the other veggies for right now- those are part of another recipe I haven’t posted on the blog just yet: Braised Pork Ribs in Chee Hao Sauce (which if you are interested you can see that recipe by clicking the link there).
- Place the carrot on the cutting board at a straight east-west direction. If you are left-handed, point your knife across the carrot to the northeast. If you are right-handed, point your knife across the carrot to the northwest.
- Cut the carrot straight through.
- Now turn the carrot so that the place you sliced across points straight up to the ceiling, then make another cut across it the same way you did the first time.
- Roll it again, and continue on until the carrot is finished. You should end up with lots of oblique chunks which at first seem uneven, but at closer inspection, you will notice the method to the madness.
Now that’s taken care of, we can proceed to the recipe:
- 4 carrots, peeled and roll cut or oblique cut
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line a small baking sheet with nonstick oil.
- Place carrots on foil and toss with a small amount of oil (only enough to coat), then season with salt and pepper and toss with rosemary.
- Roast carrots for 30-35 minutes or until almost as tender as you like.
- Scoop the carrots into one pile on the baking sheet and drizzle with a little honey.
- Spread back out and roast for about another 3-5 minutes to glaze on the carrots. Serve hot.
Servings: About 2