Easy and delicious cheese balls are great with crackers.
Whew. Thanksgiving and Christmas are over and now begins the mad rush to the year’s end. The year has gone by so fast! There is much that I wanted to cook that I never got around to. I don’t have regrets about the choices I made though. This year has been chock full of good food.
This recipe would make a perfect addition to any New Year’s Eve party. It really is easy enough to put together if you have a food processor. The great thing about making your own cheese spreads is that you can tinker with them to your taste.
This one has the flavor of roast beef with cheddar and horseradish in what seems to me to be an obvious combination. The flavor is perfect with about any type of cracker or even something like pumpernickel Melba toast or bagel chips.
If you would like a good recipe for making your own bagel chips from store-bought bagels, I have one here: Bagel Chips. They are really easy to make.
BEEFY CHEDDAR CHEESE BALLS
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 4.5 ounces dried beef
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
- Place softened cream cheese, HALF of the grated cheddar, the mayo, horseradish, mustard, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce in a food processor and run until smooth.
- Taste mixture and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add remaining cheddar and dried beef, and pulse a few times to mix.
- Refrigerate mixture until fairly firm, then using hands, shape into a ball and roll in finely chopped toasted pecans. You can wrap them in waxed paper and refrigerate until needed.
- Serve with crackers.
You might also like: