This spicy rice side dish is not your usual fried rice fare.
Sriracha Fried Rice
by Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
If you’re just looking for Chinese style fried rice with sriracha drizzled over the top, this is not it.
Lacking the typical soy sauce and egg found in the usual take-out fare, this rice more closely resembles a rice pilaf, which offers it more versatility and flexibility when adding it to your menus. It will go as easily with your stir-fry as it does roasted chicken, grilled fish, or even Tex-Mex fare such as tacos.
But being made with leftover rice, the way fried rice is made, provides the speed and ease you might be looking for in a quick weeknight meal without a lot of fuss. This is a definite game-changer on a busy night.
And we all have leftover rice at some point, whether it was the extra from dinner or the overload of rice from Friday night take-out. If you don’t plan to use your leftover rice right away, here’s a tip: don’t leave it in those little cardboard boxes, because it will get hard. For good fried rice, pack it into resealable plastic bags and refrigerate overnight. If you don’t use it at that point, it does freeze well.
The versatility from ingredients in this recipe extends as well into dietary concerns. If you are vegetarian or vegan, you can choose a vegetable base instead of chicken. If you want a different rice, such as cooked brown rice, to lower your consumption of white foods, that is a simple step as well.
The bite from the sriracha gives it that bit of peppery oomph which will make it stand out head and shoulders over any type of boxed rice mix.
Why should we settle for less just because we are active, busy people? We like good food too. So do give this one a try. I am sure you will be clipping it and putting it in your “keepers” recipe box.
Sriracha Fried Rice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 cups cold cooked rice, crumbled/grains separated
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chili sauce
- Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic in butter and olive oil until soft.
- Stir in the chicken base, ginger root, and chives.
- Stir in the cold rice and saute until hot and lightly browned. Season tot aste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in sriracha at the end of cooking.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
You might also like:
Korean Kimchi Bokkeumbap Fried Rice
Mushroom Long Grain and WIld Rice Pilaf
Can’t Find a Recipe? | Help
Recipe Index A-M | Recipe Index N-Z | Home