Splenda Chocolate Cupcakes
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
This is a recipe I am posting today in response to a request for diabetic friendly, sugar-free chocolate cupcakes with white buttercream.
The cupcakes turn out nicely moist, and you can’t tell they haven’t been made with sugar. I hadn’t made a Splenda white frosting not using cream cheese before. Unfortunately, I tried twice today and both attempts fell short of being what I would post so I won’t. But since the cupcakes are good (and I wanted to get this out before Valentines Day) you can always frost these using sugar-free tubs of store bought unless you have another recipe tucked away.
In my photos, the white frosting is what I had leftover from my birthday Bundt cake (I made too much) and had froze that. The other two, the pink and chocolate, are store bought since I wasn’t going to have enough of the cream cheese to do all the cupcakes.
I also have a recipe for chocolate frosting with Splenda. And you might wonder why I couldn’t just transform the chocolate since that recipe works. But if you take out the cocoa as a powder fill, there must be something to replace it. I made a couple of attempts using milk powder and then trying with corn starch, but I didn’t like the texture either one gave. And short on more ideas (and wasting any more butter) I will back burner that one and think about it some more and see if any other ideas spring to mind.
But you can get my chocolate frosting recipe HERE.
And my Cream Cheese Frosting recipe HERE.
The recipe itself might seem a little weird to you if you are used to normal cupcake recipes. The differences are there to account for the Splenda and the irregularities it causes with low rising and dryness. These cupcakes come out the perfect height and are beautifully moist.
Not sure yet what I am posting tomorrow. So let’s let it be a surprise day. Thursday I am hoping to get some sort of pizza recipe up for National Pizza Day. Friday is still undecided while Saturday is Wine Pairing Weekend with my recipe for rigatoni with bolognese sauce paired with a lovely red dolcetto wine. Definitely drop by for that one! Until then-
Splenda Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2 large eggs at room temperature, separated
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso or instant coffee granules
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Splenda granular
- 1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line 16 muffin cups with paper cupcake liners.
- Separate eggs, beat whites in an electric mixer fitted with a wire whip until soft peaks form.
- Place yolks in a mixing bowl; whisk until smooth.
- Stir into the beaten yolks the oil, vanilla, espresso powder, and milk, stirring until smooth.
- Sift together separately the flour, Splenda, dry milk powder, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine the two mixtures (wet yolk mix and dry flour mix) and stir into a batter, beating with a spoon or hand mixer until the graininess disappears and batter is smooth.
- Gently fold egg whites into the batter using a spatula (do not stir briskly or whip).
- Divide batter into paper lined muffin cups and bake for 11-14 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed without wet batter. Do not overbake.
- Cool completely and frost as desired.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com