At home version of the Taco Bell breakfast taco, sans shell.
Naked Egg Breakfast Tacos
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
This week for #SundaySupper we are celebrating National Taco Day which falls this Wednesday, October 4th. Yeah, yeah, yeah. It’s Sunday! Well, it’s not #TacoTuesday either, as if we actually really need a special day to eat tacos. The only time I know I have to keep a special day in mind is when my local taqueria has tacos for a buck each, and if I want to lunch there, it’s a great time to do it.
I also know as a food blogger I have a wealth of taco recipes under my belt. But every girl needs a day off now and then, and as far as lunches go, if you want a taco crispy, that can be tough to brown bag.
While we all love tacos for lunch and Sunday Supper, there is cause to jump for joy and have a taco for breakfast too. So today I am sharing my verion of Taco Bell’s Naked Egg Breakfast taco, which is in fact, an egg taco, but don’t go thinking it’s low carb (I know many of you love that, and sometimes I enjoy it as well) because this taco is not low carb.
There is yet another version of this taco at the restaurant that puts a flour tortilla around the egg, and they call it the “dressed” version. Bill and I sampled one of each not so very long ago on a lark. I liked the naked/plain egg version better. It can be more wobbly than with the flour tortilla, but it holds together and if you aren’t freaked about picking up what is essentially a baby omelet, then you’ll be fine. It didn’t bother me at all.
I wasn’t sure exactly what they put in theirs, but I know adding a little flour is okay in an omelet and does give it some body.The Taco Bell site of course, doesn’t really say much. But they don’t say it is gluten free, so that was my clue. Then I came across conversation by someone trying to figure out the carbs in it, and that it contained some sort of food starch, and had the carb count on the taco. From that I figured it definitely had an added ingredient in the egg, and instead of using food starch or corn starch/potato starch, I just used flour.
I know these come with your choice of meats, but I just used bacon. You can, of course, fill yours with whatever you like. Nothing at all wrong with cooking off some breakfast sausage, stealing a little bit for your taco then saving the rest for use in sausage gravy.
Tomorrow starts off Pumpkin Week, so be sure to join me for those posts. I have Pumpkin Stew with Chicken and Black Beans to start things off. I won’t inundate you with pumpkin spice, I promise. I have only two baked goods: Pumpkin Chip cookies on Thursday which someone asked me if I put crack in, and Old-Fashioned Pumpkin Bread the way I like to make mine, which always got me compliments. And on Friday I will share a version of Thai Pumpkin Curry, because not everything pumpkin has to be a latte, right? C’ya then!
Naked Egg Taco
- 1 egg whisked with 1-1/2 teaspoons flour
- pinch each cumin, salt and pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons crumbled bacon
- 1/3 cup diced cooked potatoes
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons nacho cheese sauce
- jalapeno slices and pinch chili powder for garnish
- Whisk egg with flour.
- Melt butter in a small nonstick skillet and add egg, swirling around the pan over low heat until it sets; turn out onto a plate.
- Fill with bacon, potatoes, cheese and cheese sauce.
- Garnish with jalapeno slices and a pinch of chili powder.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Easy Taco Recipes #SundaySupper
Breakfast, Dessert, and Alternative Tacos
- Jalapeno Cornbread Taco Pie by Soulfully Made
- Loaded Taco Tots by Gourmet Everyday
- Naked Egg Breakfast Tacos by Palatable Pastime
- Spicy Beef Cheesy Corn Taco Muffins by Food Lust People Love
- Veggie Packed Mouth-Watering Cauliflower Breakfast Tostadas by Bites of Wellness
Lunch and Dinner Tacos
- 1970s Style Tacos by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Asian-Spiced Black Cod Tacos with Kimchi and Avocado-Sriracha Mayo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos by A Mind Full Mom
- Chorizo Tacos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cinnamon Beef Tacos by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Easy Fish Taco Recipe by Sunday Supper Movement
- Healthy Ground Turkey Tacos by Mid-Life Croissant
- It’s Taco Tuesday: An Easy Family Meal by Hardly A Goddess
- Low Carb Beef Tacos by Our Good Life
- Salmon Tacos with Watermelon Pico de Gallo by Pies and Plots
- Sloppy Joe Tacos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Asian Pork Tacos with Cabbage Slaw by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Slow Cooker Korean BBQ Tacos by Cricket’s Confections
- Steak Tacos with Chimichurri Sauce by The Freshman Cook
- Surf and Turf Tacos by The Weekend Gourmet
- Walking Chili Cheese Tacos by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
I hate to admit it but those Taco Bell tacos intrigue me so much. Your homemade version looks, and no doubt tastes, much better.
I don’t think I’ve ever eaten at a Taco Bell, but I’d be happy to try your homemade naked egg breakfast taco. It looks delicious, and I’d eat it any time of day!
I saw the commercials and was on the fence about trying it but I want your version for breakfast!