Slow Cooker Swiss Steak
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
This week for Sunday Supper the focus is all about Slow Cooker Comfort Food recipes. Isn’t that anything that’s made in the slow cooker? <grin>
One of my favorite slow cooker meals is Swiss steak. I have done a version of Swiss steak before for the stove top, but this one is in the slow cooker, and has slightly different vegetables in the mix, since it can be prepared several ways. That recipe was also for Sunday Supper: as it seems to be the kind of delish recipe that is part of the standard and all about comfort food and family dinners around the table. You can see that other Swiss steak here:
It’s no small secret that cooking with beef is one of my favorite foods to make. And some of the more budget cuts of beef, like round steak and cube steak, need a little extra loving care to make them taste their absolute best. And while I used a different beef cut in each recipe, these two cuts are very similar, except with the round steak you have to do that extra bit of prep yourself by Swissing it, using a meat mallet or one of those little gadgets that cut into the steak like a nut chopper. The little blades help cut some of the chewy fibers. But if you buy it already done, that step is taken care of for you. So the “Swiss” part of the title is more about how the meat is pounded and braised than it is about the tomato based sauce.
I do like this recipe both ways- either with all the tasty peppers or the more French style, using the mirepoix of carrots, onions, and celery. It is the French trinity. You may also have heard about the Cajun trinity (the Southern American or Canadian Acadian French)(Yes, they are in two different places) that uses peppers, celery and onion. That combination would also be quite tasty.
In the end, you get a nice saucy piece of beef that is perfect for serving with mashed potatoes, noodles, or even rice. No matter how you choose to cook it: stove top, or slow cooker. Either way, it is pure homestyle comfort food.
Join me tomorrow when I share yet another slow cooker recipe in a blogging group I am in (and I am also hosting) that with wry amusement I have dubbed #Crocktober. You see what I did there, right? It will be for Slow Cooker, Ham, Potato and Cheddar soup. Perfect for cold weather, if Mother Nature will give up trying to inundate Ohio with temperatures in the upper 80’s, as if it were July. I hope to see you then!
Slow Cooker Swiss Steak
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef cube steak
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and black pepper
- cooking oil
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups beef gravy (jarred or homemade, your choice)
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (mixed with 1/2 cup water)
- Season beef with salt and black pepper and dredge with flour, shaking off excess.
- Brown on both sides in a skillet with a little bit of oil.
- Place chopped vegetables in the bottom of the slow cooker, then top with browned beef.
- Stir together the remaining ingredients except the cornstarch and pour over the top of all.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until beef is tender.
- Lift beef out of the slow cooker and sir the cornstarch slurry in.
- Place beef back on top and cook on high for 15-30 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or noodles.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Slow Cooker Comfort Food Recipes #SundaySupper
Desserts, Breakfasts, and Sides
- Easy Slow Cooker Apple Crisp by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy Slow Cooker Banana Coconut Pudding by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice Baked Apples by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Slower Cooker Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Butter by Our Good Life
- Beef Brisket in Slow Cooker by Life Tastes Good
- Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff by Flour On My Face
- Crockpot Cabbage Rolls by My World Simplified
- Slow Cooker Asian BBQ Pork by Simple and Savory
- Slow Cooker Asian Garlic-Ginger Meatballs by The Weekend Gourmet
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Gravy by Sunday Supper Movement
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Slow Cooker Cube Steaks Paprika by Hardly A Goddess
- Slow Cooker Pepperoncini Chicken by Cricket’s Confections
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak by Soulfully Made
- Slow Cooker Short Ribs with Mushrooms by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Swiss Steak by Palatable Pastime
- Slow Cooker Tinga de Pollo Poblano by Cooking On The Ranch
Soups, Stews, and Pastas
- Beef Massaman Curry (Slow Cooker) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Beefy Chili Mac by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Kid Friendly Mac and Cheese in a Crockpot by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pork & Lentil Stew by Gourmet Everyday
- Slow Cooker Baked Ziti by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Slow Cooker Curried Butternut Squash Soup by Bites of Wellness
- Slow Cooker Low Carb Mexican Casserole by My Life Cookbook
- Slow Cooker Pesto Mozzarella Chicken Pasta by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Slow Cooker Southwestern Pork Stew by The Freshman Cook
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.