Crisp cereal bars with caramel, apples and pecans make a delicious autumn treat.
Caramel Apple Cereal Bars
By Sue Lau | Palatable Pastime
Welcome to Halloween Food and Fun! I am teaming up with some blogging friends to celebrate Halloween in foodie style and some wickedly delicious autumn treats.
I’ve chosen to post my recipe for caramel apple cereal bars, which are a riff off the usual rice krispie treats. Instead of that cereal, however, I have gone with the corn chex because of the caramel corn association, and filled it with caramel bits, chopped apples and pecans (like you might see pressed into the bottom of a taffy apple!
The result is different and delicious, especially if you like cereal bars but are getting tired of the same-old same-old.
Everyone who tried these enjoyed them, and I am sure they will be a big hit with your little ghouls and goblins as well, even the larger, 5 to 6 foot tall variety.
Be sure to check out my bonus post today for Chicken and Dumplings! It’s the way it has been made in my family for years and years and years and years and how many do I have to go back to be honest? LOL! But as always, I hope you enjoy and be sure to check in with me this week- Tuesday is National Pizza month and I will be posting a recipe for Mini Pizza Bites. And Wednesday is National Pear Day and I have a Roasted Pear Quiche which will wow your guests for holiday brunch or just any plain Saturday. It’s bloody gorgeous and even more delicious if I must say so myself. And I’ll try to throw in odds and ends recipes on the extra days. Check back and see them all.
Caramel Apple Cereal Bars
- 6 cups corn chex cereal
- 11 ounces caramel candy bits or chopped caramels
- 1 cup chopped dried apples
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 4 tablespoons butter (plus extra for pan)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10-1/2 ounces mini marshmallows
- candy sprinkles
- Place cereal, caramel bits, chopped apples and pecans in a large mixing bowl and mix.
- Generously butter a 9×11 baking pan.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in the top of a double boiler and stir in the cinnamon.
- Add marshmallows and stir briskly until they melt and incorporate.
- Pour mixture over cereal in mixing bowl and stir to mix.
- Press mixture into the buttered pan using a spatula sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Sprinkle with candy sprinkles and press down lightly with waxed paper while it is still warm.
- Allow to cool and firm, then slice into bars and serve.
- Store extra pieces wrapped in wax paper.
From the kitchen of palatablepastime.com
Halloween Food and Fun!
- Caramel Apple Cereal Bars by Palatable Pastime
- Creepy Eyeball Martini by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Halloween Party Mix by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Haunted Halloween Mini Cake by Making the Most of Naptime
- Mummy Cupcakes by Family Around The Table
- Mummy Dogs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Spider Web Cupcakes by Making Miracles
- Spooky Chocolate Bark Brownies by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Fun and festive! Perfect for a class Halloween party. Thanks for join in the Halloween event!
Yum! Love the flavors in this one!
Love the adaptations to make these Halloween Happy.
This is a great idea! I have trouble finding corn chex in Canada, but I like the caramel corn association so it’ll be worth the effort to find 🙂
So perfect for fall! I love it!
Sue, these look like fun. And so easy to make! I love it. Thanks for sharing.