Fresh sorrel leaves mixed with baby salad greens on an awesome salad. So simple!
I’d recently gone to the Centerville Ohio farm market, which they have been having from 3-6 p.m. in the Centerville Square shopping center with Buffalo Wings and Rings and Kabuki. But I digress. The market itself is small and slightly disappointing, almost overrun with food retailers, but.
There is a gem of a vendor there that i really like, and that is Hungry Toad Farm, who normally operate from their farm just off of Clyo Road here in Centerville. They offer beautiful and reasonable organic produce with some unusual offerings. Among those I bought that week was the sorrel, and also purple serrano peppers. They also sold me the sunflowers you see in the photo, of which I bought up an arm full. I almost didn’t- because I already had flowers at home, but then I relented and came back, unable to resist.
I will admit that I had never used sorrel before, so I inquired. He told me that this leafy green had a bit of a bite to it and also a yummy lemony flavor. I immediately imagined the salad you see above. And the salad itself is really very good. If you haven’t had figs with prosciutto before, it will be a revelation to you. And the honey-fig vinaigrette with just a hint of Dijon is just right. Try it for yourself and see! Even if you can’t find sorrel, just use mesclun or whatever kind of organic baby salad greens you can get your hands on. It is really quite delicious.
- 2 cups sorrel leaves
- 2 cups mesclun or spring mix leaves
- 4 fresh figs, quartered
- 1 1/2 ounces thinly shaved prosciutto
- 4 ounces baby crimini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tbsp. butter
—–Honey-Fig Dijon Vinaigrette—–
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. fig jam
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Place salad mixes in a salad bowl.
- Heat butter in a small nonstick skillet and sautee mushrooms until golden; place mushrooms on salad greens.
- Wrap prosciutto around figs and sautee on all sides until ham browns and crisps up.
- Top salad with figs.
- Whisk together vinaigrette ingredients.
- Pour vinaigrette over salad and serve.